• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The middle class is in for a tax shock"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    You CAN get rich without screwing people over and exploiting them - but there are always people who are happy to get even richer by doing so.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    One question to ask, if over history, the rich didn't feck the poor, how did they get so rich?

And, no, I'm no including those on benefits.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    That's you're evidence?
    Rather a lot of evidence, yes.

Er, that's the point, how do you define it? I certainly don't include anyone who is living off the state.
    Why do you take such pride in your ignorance?

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Thousands of years of history?
    That's you're evidence?

regardless how you define it.
    Er, that's the point, how do you define it? I certainly don't include anyone who is living off the state.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So the rich f**k the poor
    Where's your evidence of this?
    Thousands of years of history?

And whilst we're at it there are no more* 'poor' in this country
    Are you livingi in a different country to the rest of us, or do you just mean you can't see any from your pad in the country? There are lots of poor, regardless how you define it.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Jaguar made £2.5billion profit
    yeah so roughly £125M of that was from
    from pressing bits of metal
    . The profit is meaningless on it's own, we need the yield to know how well it's working. BTW you do realise that they manufacture in a number of countries now? and that they are owned by Tata?

So the design cost nothing, sold no cars and didn't generate any other profit and people just walked up to the factory gates and bought them?

BAE did alright making ships & planes and stuff from lumps of metal
    Balls. Most of BAE work is electronic circuit boards and software to drive it. The bit of metal attached to the ICBM, Air craft etc is the cheap bit put together by highly skilled engineers.

Nissan UK doing alright
    After huge subsidies from the UK taxpayer.

clicking a button to buy or sell shares
    Put you tin foil hat back on, those 'share' weren't conjured out of thin air. They may even belong to Jaguar (Tata), Bloor Holding Ltd etc.

The company that build the software to do that also made a profit ...

Robert Preston meanwhile has never held a job making stuff & has always been a reporter so not sure what makes him qualified to comment
    You're living up to your screen name there pal.
    He's more qualified to comment than you give him credit for.

So why does a line worker ('making stuff') have more to say on the running of a company than the directors or the economic forecasters or the investors?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    95% of the profit of most products comes from the service side, 5% from the manufacture. (This figure comes from the BBC's Robert Preston who did a series examining the decline of manufacturing in this country).
    Jaguar made £2.5billion profit from pressing bits of metal into shapes people want to buy
    BAE did alright making ships & planes and stuff from lumps of metal albeit with some help from non manufacturing
    Triumph motorcycles making money
    Nissan UK doing alright
    JCB £300m profit

Now it does take skill and resourcefulness in making a bit of metal into something and is certainly not as easy as clicking a button to buy or sell shares

Robert Preston meanwhile has never held a job making stuff & has always been a reporter so not sure what makes him qualified to comment

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What has Nigella got to do with this?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    The middle class is in for a tax shock

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Damned either way we are - might be best to leave the country, but to where I do not know.
    The Dagobah System?
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 13 January 2016, 19:48.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    So the rich f**k the poor over
    Where's your evidence of this?

And whilst we're at it there are no more* 'poor' in this country, that's an insult to the hard working and tax paying of this country.

*Well statistically insignificant, and usually self inflicted

unfettered immigration which helps no-one but the rich
    I assume you mean the rich employer? Real rich people don't have to work. Whilst I agree with the sentiment that companies that cynically employ 'cheap' labour from the continent depress Salaries and rates, there are as many UK businesses who will tell you a tale of posting jobs to the job centre and getting zero response.
    And manufacturing jobs off-shored
    95% of the profit of most products comes from the service side, 5% from the manufacture. (This figure comes from the BBC's Robert Preston who did a series examining the decline of manufacturing in this country).

So the poor have no route but benefits
    See above re 'poor'. Working too good for them then?

And then they lose the vote
    Lets hope so as it's obvious that the only vote they will cast is to vote themselves another payrise/more security in their chosen lifestyle.

Nice......
    Well you did post on a forum where most have carved out a nice living by working hard, no doubt we're the very 'rich' of which you speak.

Why did your remark require a double ellipsis?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Whilst we're at it remove the vote from those that contribute nothing to the countries coffers (they have no right to say how to spend it). Switch to a fairer system of 'social security' where by there is a safety net for those that find themselves (genuinely) looking for work and for those that live off the taxpayer some form 'contribution' to the nations well being.
    So the rich f**k the poor over by unfettered immigration which helps no-one but the rich. And manufacturing jobs off-shored. So the poor have no route but benefits.

And then they lose the vote. Nice......

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Whilst we're at it remove the vote from those that contribute nothing to the countries coffers (they have no right to say how to spend it). Switch to a fairer system of 'social security' where by there is a safety net for those that find themselves (genuinely) looking for work and for those that live off the taxpayer some form 'contribution' to the nations well being.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    This kind of attack on middle class will mean that the Tories will get so hammered at next elections, its inevitable that Corbyn will emerge winner by a landslide.
    It means UKIP will win. Then we can send home the foreigners. And any UK citizen who lives abroad should lose their citizenship.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    This kind of attack on middle class will mean that the Tories will get so hammered at next elections, its inevitable that Corbyn will emerge winner by a landslide. It could also mean that Tory party might shrink rapidly to a fringe party. You really need to consider voting for Corbyn next elections, he is the only politician who will listen to the voters and do what is best for them. All the rest are just proxies to rich corporations.
    I never thought I would be so inclined but I must admit that I see real evil in GO and Cameron, and Corbyn now appears to be coming through as probably the only front-running politician I would vote for. Labour will probably hammer people for tax too but perhaps at least they will be honest about it. Damned either way we are - might be best to leave the country, but to where I do not know.

The Tories have most certainly lost my family's vote.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    It's only fair

Leave a comment:

Working...
X