• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Slough

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Slough"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    Yup

Ahh the old cellnet building... Hideous! O2 moved to the trading estate now, quite a nice building
    What's that Guru B'dingding building opposite about?

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Yup, isn't there a hideous new bus stop called the Caterpillar next to the O2 building (opposite Slough station).

They had just started building it when I had a mercifully short stint at O2 a few years ago.

But looking at it on Google Street View, it appears the building I was in is boarded up, or was in 2015-09
    Yup

Ahh the old cellnet building... Hideous! O2 moved to the trading estate now, quite a nice building

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    Was... Knocked down now
    Yup, isn't there a hideous new bus stop called the Caterpillar next to the O2 building (opposite Slough station).

They had just started building it when I had a mercifully short stint at O2 a few years ago.

But looking at it on Google Street View, it appears the building I was in is boarded up, or was in 2015-09

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
    A friend who lives in Slough refers to it optimistically as Windsor Borders.
    Same as the top of Slough (The Britwell) the Estate Agents call it 'Farnham Royal Borders' Farnham Royal & Beaconsfield are posh parts of Berks/Bucks just like Windsor & Ascot.

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    A friend who lives in Slough refers to it optimistically as Windsor Borders.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    people want to live near me!
    Not far from me either. I don't live in Slough but have invested there.

The town centre has come along leaps and bound over the past 10 to 15 years, and more recently Crossrail has encouraged further re-development of the area. What we're now looking at is a regeneration akin to that of East London; as London City grew out towards the East, that side of London boomed and became a yuppie commuter hub. Now I'm not saying Slough is quite on that level but it is ideally placed for Heathrow, the M4/Thames Valley routes and of course London (certainly more so with Crossrail).

Areas like Slough are oft remembered for their negative aspects but you only have to look at the investment being made in areas like this to see that it isn't all bad. Like I said before, you can't argue with the fact that house prices are up 20 to 25% in the area in the past 12 months: a 3 bed semi costing £270k a year ago would now go for £340k. Still some way to go I believe but personally I'm cashing out a bit because I want to keep some powder dry.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    My sister used to work at ICI(now akzonobel). The staff were strongly discouraged leaving the site except by car. And if they had to go on foot they were advised to go in pairs.
    The wonders of multiculturalism.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    My sister used to work at ICI(now akzonobel). The staff were strongly discouraged leaving the site except by car. And if they had to go on foot they were advised to go tooled up.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    My sister used to work at ICI(now akzonobel). The staff were strongly discouraged leaving the site except by car. And if they had to go on foot they were advised to go in pairs.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Slough house prices are up 20% in the past 12 months alone. Pretty much doubled over the past 5 years.

Isn't that what's really important?
    people want to live near me!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    My Merc locks them automatically
    Especially useful if you are in Johannesburg, so I understand

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Didn't anyone teach you when you know you are going to rough areas lock all your car doors?

As a woman because are handbags are often next to us or behind us that's one thing you are told.
    My Merc locks them automatically but my 20 year old 4x4 does not

Ergo you must all be driving bangers l

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Didn't anyone teach you when you know you are going to Slough to lock all your car doors and load the automatic?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    Few years back I was pulling out of the Tesco car park in Slough and while waiting for a gap to pull out some youths appeared / opened my boot and nicked my shopping, another time I pulled up to make a mobile call and within 3mins some women was knocking on my window (hooker). They film a lot of those Dave / channel 5 Police Inceptor stuff around Slough.
    Didn't anyone teach you when you know you are going to rough areas lock all your car doors?

As a woman because are handbags are often next to us or behind us that's one thing you are told.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Slough house prices are up 20% in the past 12 months alone. Pretty much doubled over the past 5 years.

Isn't that what's really important?
    People are desperate to live somewhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X