• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Told off on my first day..."

Collapse

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    If you can't follow a simple rule like "use a handrail" whether you agree with it or not, how are you expected to follow more complex rules which are important?
    Why? Is he going for BDSM sessions?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    If you can't follow a simple rule like "use a handrail" whether you agree with it or not, how are you expected to follow more complex rules which are important?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    Mate works at a company that for health & safety decided no hot liquids at your workstations, cos someone spilled a bit of soup on their hand (which had to go into the medical book).

Everyone went nuts, so they said okay tea and coffee is allowed but no soup.

So a mug of soup = reprimand
    Mug of coffee = ok

Boggles the mind.
    Eating at your desk is just gross though.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    It's done because lawyers are good at getting money for accidents. Implement a solution that makes it difficult for them and you're better off. "Elfin gone mad" as the DM would say. But if it stops companies from being sued because of greedy/lazy people, then it's a minor inconvenience.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Construction industry have similar rules. I've been caught out by them before. And if you don't use the handrail, they tell you that you have to use the lifts.
    Their reasoning is that good safety practice must be carried out at all their sites, not just quarries, but the same rules in the office buildings/car parks.
    Ah yes - the classic line that it is company policy on all sites.

Are we working in a quarry?

No we are working in an office.

Well then obviously different safety rules apply you dense melon farmer

It is a lazy H&S policy which ultimately costs the company money - I have done so many projects over the years to address these issues were some Muppet has implemented every policy and procedure in the book without any form of intellectual input and pretty much ground the company to a halt.

Identifying a risk is not the same as managing the risk.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    @MM: The post above mentions Wilmslow.
    Ah I see....
    The OP is Wilmslow, I don't believe he is working there

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Don't worry, he probably didn't realise that we had Waitrose up north

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AJ1982
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Construction industry have similar rules. I've been caught out by them before. And if you don't use the handrail, they tell you that you have to use the lifts.
    Do you need to use the handrail in the lifts? What if the lifts dont have handrails? I like something to hold on while im being taken for a ride :P

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Except in the centre of town (which has limited on street parking) there's plenty of on street parking 5 mins walk from the centre. If you fancy taking on the PPC running the Waitrose car park it's free there also (free for 2 hours anyway).
    Might help, if you mention where the hell you are on about, location wise

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Except in the centre of town (which has limited on street parking) there's plenty of on street parking 5 mins walk from the centre. If you fancy taking on the PPC running the Waitrose car park it's free there also (free for 2 hours anyway).

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    SSE by any chance?
    SIS

It's Wilmslow we talking about...

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    New client is obsessed with the safety elves – When walking upstairs I was pulled over about the importance of holding onto the germ infested handrail.

Not allowed to park on site as a contractor, which is a real pain as the only option is the local Virgin station – at £9 a day, assuming I can get a space as the carpark fills up very early in the day.

Oh, and a nice 9am scrum I cannot be late for, with no other means of parking locally I may just need to take the train daily, as I am darned if I am paying £45 a week just to park on top of the hotel costs - would get me home every day at least.

Lifes challenges....
    SSE by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Their reasoning is that good safety practice must be carried out at all their sites, not just quarries, but the same rules in the office buildings/car parks.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Possibly.

When I worked in Runcorn, we had strict policies on things like this - can't carry a hot drink without a lid, have to use the handrail, have to reverse into a parking space because it's safer.

Nothing about the plant leaking chemicals into the Mersey, or clouds of chlorine escaping, that was OK.
    Would that be ici or that's what it used to be?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X