• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bloody Students

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bloody Students"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Has anyone here ever dared try a chip shop pickled egg?
    Yep, love them, what about wallys?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    Pea Wet sounds disgusting!
    Perhaps it's another name for those revolting mushy peas

Unless it's the drain off from soaking dried peas overnight, sort of like homeopathic pea soup, all dust and beetle wings with barely a hint of peas

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Has anyone here ever dared try a chip shop pickled egg?

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    IME variously Bits, Scraps, Crackling, Scrapes without too much geographical bias.

Pea Wet sounds disgusting!

It always makes me feel a bit iffy when chippys sell the strange yellowy greenish bile they call curry, I know people will eat almost anything when staggering home from the pub but there must be limits!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    1. "Bits" is common in Essex as well - it's not a northern thing.
    2. The chippy probably has a higher profit margin on chips than fish, so was a bit peeved at your mate for not being as profitable as chavvy students.
    3. You have no mates

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    I'd have thjought they'd have all packed up and gone home by now...

Apparently not, as evidenced by a post bevvie trip to the Merry Fryer last night.

So myself & my mate join a massive queue snaking out the door of the shop & as we inch towards the counter we notice the chippy is getting more and more peeved by the requests for "a small bag of chips with "bits"".

Now I didn't know what this meant but, by all accounts, it's what poor people in the north ask for when they go to the chip ship - it's all the little bits of batter that are periodically skimmed out of the fryer & some people like to eat them.

New one on me.

Anyway, when my mate Tony got to the front of the queue and said "fish and chips please" the bloke had to scrape his jaw off the ground. Think Tony doubled his previous hour's takings in an instant there.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I'm having an abstemious week.

Need to be on tip top form for backstage after the Wells gig on Saturday.
    Full tank?

Sure you do, I'm sure all those boys aren't going to service themselves

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    FTFY
    WHS +1

Served with Pea Wet for those on a really tight budget.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They're called scraps round here, I think.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They're called scrapings round here, I think.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Apparently not, as evidenced by a post bevvie trip to the Merry Fryer last night.

So myself & my mate
    I stopped reading at that point.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

So myself & my mate join a massive queue snaking out the door of the shop & as we inch towards the counter we notice the chippy is getting more and more peeved by the requests for "a small bag of chips with "bits"".

Now I didn't know what this meant but, by all accounts, it's what poor people in the north ask for when they go to the chip ship - it's all the little bits of batter that are periodically skimmed out of the fryer & some people like to eat them.

New one on me.

blah.
    Fook me seems like you found a time machine too...

that was what people used to ask for - when it cost a shiny penny and you got 240 of them to the pound!

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    poor people in the north
    Tautology alert!

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Thought you would have been lining yourself up, for a post fish supper session, round the back.

Were they all mingers?
    I'm having an abstemious week.

Need to be on tip top form for backstage after the Wells gig on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Thought you would have been lining yourself up, for a post fish supper session, round the back.

Were they all mingers?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X