• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Official Christmas Dinner Thread"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Mrs V Did Christmas day and it was a triumph. Chicken & Beef. MIL doesn't like Turkey. Not much in the way of leftovers.

I managed not to burn the Turkey & Roasties today. I think adding half a bottle of wine to the gravy was a masterstroke!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Turkey and ham pie today. V nice.

BBC - Food - Recipes : Turkey, leek and ham pie

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    We had beef - a Swiss recipe - cooked in the oven wrapped in water-soaked hay. Deliciously tender and moist. Christmas pud for afters.

Today - boiled rice and pork.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Burp. Time for her majesty and a snooze I think.
    You had a snooze with her majesty?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Mexican Chicken Soup eaten, potatoes on, Goulash bubbling away. Vodka finished

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Turkey and gammon in the oven. ETA 18:30.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    First time eh? AYSYCOTBAC?
    I have given the Chef the day off

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Burp. Time for her majesty and a snooze I think.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Lobster is a right little ****er to open!
    First time eh? AYSYCOTBAC?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Lobster is a right little ****er to open!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Yes, I had a vague perception it wasn't entirely sound from an avoiding-food-poisoning perspective

But I'm intrigued - Why cold water? Surely it would be better to soak it in boiling water?!
    Hot water starts it cooking and can increase bacteria growth.* Cold water is warmer than ice so will still speed up the defrosting process.

*There are exceptions to this but your turkey isn't one of them.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's an example of "How to get food poisoning 101."

If you want to speed up defrosting meat put in pan, bowl or sink of COLD water.

Mind you were I am you can run out and get some chicken or fish as some small grocers are open.
    Yes, I had a vague perception it wasn't entirely sound from an avoiding-food-poisoning perspective

But I'm intrigued - Why cold water? Surely it would be better to soak it in boiling water?!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Goulash today, leftover goulash tomorrow (Actually yesterday was Christmas here so presents and big meal was yesterday)

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And if you drink enough wine and spirits you won't get food poisoning.
    And that's an effin fact!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Just eat it nearly raw, that's what the French would do in a posh restaurant.
    And if you drink enough wine and spirits you won't get food poisoning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X