• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why all incident/change management etc. software is crap"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You might not be clever enough. But the rest of us are.
    Clever enough for what? I can use the software - it's just that it is universally awful. I've never seen a well written (or implemented, if you prefer) problem/incident/change management system.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    All the various methodologies and tools have value.

Where it fails is because no intelligence is used to implement it. The 'process' becomes law even when common sense and logic dictate a different approach.
    How dare you say that! It was outsourced to Bob Showaddywaddy at plenty expensiveness.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've just had an epiphany and realised why all incident/change management etc. software is, without exception, utter crap. It simply isn't possible to write decent software for managing ITIL type processes, because the processes and the paradigm themselves are crap.
    You might not be clever enough. But the rest of us are.

Interviewing someone the other day.
    "What is the difference between an incident and a problem?"
    "An incident I understand straight away. A problem I have to think about".

Good answer!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I'm now using MOF 4.0 (with a bit of COBIT 5 thrown in for good measure) as much as ITIL, and ITIL v2 as much as ITIL 2011.

As long as it works for the client, is what they need and is joined up people aren't interested in where it all comes from.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The software is usually OK, it's just badly implemented
    True +1.

Quality Center is one good example of something not usually set up properly, often this is because "there wasn't time".

Management are then mystified as to why they cannot get any meaningful reporting out of it.
    The, very, same management that had made the decision, that we would just do it that way "for now".

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Ah I remember the days when "incident management" was a series of post-it notes on a white board
    Post-it notes, luxury!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Compared to what went before in most companies ITIL is a massive improvement.

Just remember the headless chicken prioritising and so on. At least we have a framework that makes sense (ish).
    Ah I remember the days when "incident management" was a series of post-it notes on a white board

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Compared to what went before in most companies ITIL is a massive improvement.

Just remember the headless chicken prioritising and so on. At least we have a framework that makes sense (ish).

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    All the various methodologies and tools have value.

Where it fails is because no intelligence is used to implement it. The 'process' becomes law even when common sense and logic dictate a different approach.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    To be fair although the tools are sometimes OK there are several that are absolute and total carp but I agree, the implementations often tulipe!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    That's so true.

Same for the central tenets of ITIL, Prince and any other methodology, they're common sense good practice things, but they're dressed up in so much utter bollocks it's become an industry that obscures its own value.
    That's the crux of the matter, ITIL is a framework, it won't fit every scenario in every organisation, people try to "implement ITIL" when they should be picking the ideas that can work in their organisation and then maturing the rest to be brought into line

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Yeah, yeah. You're so right, which is why the company I work at is upto 1 Billion turnover and my waistline continues to grow at 40% per year.

Poor workmen and all that.

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    That's so true.

Same for the central tenets of ITIL, Prince and any other methodology, they're common sense good practice things, but they're dressed up in so much utter bollocks it's become an industry that obscures its own value.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I've just had an epiphany and realised why all incident/change management etc. software is, without exception, utter crap. It simply isn't possible to write decent software for managing ITIL type processes, because the processes and the paradigm themselves are crap.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Yeah, yeah. You're so right, which is why the company I work at is upto 1 Billion turnover and continues to grow at 40% per year.

Poor workmen and all that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X