• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much are HMRC enjoying the PSC crackdown panic?"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    as Ive said many times, if you're contracting at the same client for 12 to 18 months you're part and parcel of the organisation so should be on the payroll.
    My last gig was 15 months.... the final month was an extension... when should they have put me on the payroll? 12 months into the gig they were laying off permies under voluntary redundancy, would not have been possible to put anyone on payroll with same job title after that point in time.

Leave a comment:

• synoniv
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I bet they are loving it! They must wonder why they need parliament when all they need as a newspaper article.

And the best bit is that CUK posts can be used in evidence. As NTRT found to their cost when HMRC barristers turned up with print outs of forum posts.....

CUK posts as evidence for HMRC....
    They don't seem to get how it all works.

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Have you ever visited Bridgwater?
    Nope. I try never to go south of Watford.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Who or what is an Old Hack?

I'm me. Just me.
    Have you ever visited Bridgwater?

Leave a comment:

• jpdw
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We'll be inundated with "I can't afford my VAT and mortgage, which one should I pay?" threads more likely.
    Or "I used the VAT for a deposit on a new beemer and now I can't afford the mortgage because my JSA didn't come through"

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Who or what is an Old Hack?

I'm me. Just me.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    It's what they keep my whiskey in dude.
    Okay I have finally twigged it, you are Old Hack's sockie aren't you ?

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    What's VAT?
    It's what they keep my whiskey in dude.

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We'll be inundated with "I can't afford my VAT and mortgage, which one should I pay?" threads more likely.
    What's VAT?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I bet they are loving it! They must wonder why they need parliament when all they need as a newspaper article.

And the best bit is that CUK posts can be used in evidence. As NTRT found to their cost when HMRC barristers turned up with print outs of forum posts.....
    NTRT?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I think you are worried that your supply of newbies to insult will dry up.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Yes, I may be "alright jack" but that's not because I live some dull, frugal lifestyle; it's because I'm a businessman first and a contractor about eighth. One of the first lessons to learn in business is that there's always a storm coming. Go through enough storms and you don't just learn to survive them you even get to enjoy them.
    exactly
    You want to panic, that's your prerogative but don't you dare attack me because I'm not concerned. You wanted to run a business; this week will separate the men from the boys, or it'll be a storm in a teacup. Where you all smell the phear I smell profit. That's the difference.
    exactly
    On a personal note: I get hired because I have a broad and deep knowledge of many aspects of both IT and business. I'm welcomed and understood in the board room and the server room and can talk and walk with kings and dustmen. You, I imagine, would bin the CV of anyone you thought might be more useful than you. I may be wrong, the written word can confuse things in translation, but for all the world you remind me of the good old Working Men's Club Chairman. So I'm sorry you think I'm smug but as the most infamous know-it-all on the board shouldn't you be a bit smug too?
    beer on me

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    I like you already
    See what I mean about the written word? My first assumption is that this is sarcasm, but then I'm sarcastic as hell so I could be leaping to the incorrect conclusion.
    Hard to say.

So have a anyway.

Much love.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    You calling me smug? With your track record of newbie-bashing and general high-horsing? Pretty damn rich.

Yes, I may be "alright jack" but that's not because I live some dull, frugal lifestyle; it's because I'm a businessman first and a contractor about eighth. One of the first lessons to learn in business is that there's always a storm coming. Go through enough storms and you don't just learn to survive them you even get to enjoy them.

You're very fond of lambasting folk and telling them why they're NCOTBAC; perhaps the shoe is on the other foot now? Concerned it's all going wrong for you? Well I'll say it again, until Wednesday you and everyone here knows exactly squat. Nothing. Diddly.

You want to panic, that's your prerogative but don't you dare attack me because I'm not concerned. You wanted to run a business; this week will separate the men from the boys, or it'll be a storm in a teacup. Where you all smell the phear I smell profit. That's the difference.

Smug, maybe. An idiot? A very very long way from it.

On a personal note: I get hired because I have a broad and deep knowledge of many aspects of both IT and business. I'm welcomed and understood in the board room and the server room and can talk and walk with kings and dustmen. You, I imagine, would bin the CV of anyone you thought might be more useful than you. I may be wrong, the written word can confuse things in translation, but for all the world you remind me of the good old Working Men's Club Chairman. So I'm sorry you think I'm smug but as the most infamous know-it-all on the board shouldn't you be a bit smug too?
    I like you already

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    I think a Douglas Adams quote is appropriate here:

My absolute favourite piece of information is the fact that young sloths are so inept that they frequently grab their own arms and legs instead of tree limbs, and fall out of trees.

It has no relevance to anything that's being discussed here - I just thought it might lighten the mood
    I utterly adore Douglas Adams. Thank you for that, truly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X