• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unusual two minutes silence"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think that even for English people it should be a personal choice. If you want to observe the silence, I shouldn't have to leave or feel peer-pressured into it.
    If you stay and chat you are being very disrespectful to the people for whom the silence is important. You are saying that your right to talk for two minutes is more important than their feelings. Since shutting up for two minutes is hardly a massive burden, you are effectively saying that their desire to remember the dead of all wars through two minutes of silence is insignificant.

Causing offence just because you wish to demonstrate you have a personal choice is the action of a boorish man.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I think that even for English people it should be a personal choice. If you want to observe the silence, I shouldn't have to leave or feel peer-pressured into it.
    In this case though, your personal choice is impacting on others. Sort of like if you're a smoker and blowing your unasked-for second hand smoke over people.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It is disrespectful to your colleagues observing the silence to continue talking. It's a choice between behaving decently and being an ignorant git. Or do you think that honouring others' cultures when you're in their own country is just being intolerant?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's a choice. Like wearing a poppy. As pointed out their nation fought too, is it simply not the Indian custom - if so do they have another custom instead?
    It is disrespectful to your colleagues observing the silence to continue talking. It's a choice between behaving decently and being an ignorant git. Or do you think that honouring others' cultures when you're in their own country is just being intolerant?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Didn't you feel it would have been reasonable to walk over them and discretely tell them to stop being so disrespectful and STFU?
    It's a choice. Like wearing a poppy. As pointed out their nation fought too, is it simply not the Indian custom - if so do they have another custom instead?

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    We had an email this morning mentioning the two minute silence at 11am

Then at the appointed time, when I wasn't expecting anything in particular except a quiet time to discretely continue typing, a load of whistles sounded over the intercom, like the end of Blackadder series 4.

Quite evocative, but not enough to persuade a couple of thoughtless tits to stop rabbiting away behind me for the whole two minutes (Indians as it happens, without wishing to sound racist as over a million Indians fought in WW1 and 74,000 were killed )
    Had same here but without any announcment that normally happens, it took me a few seconds to register what it was.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    SY02 and I ceased work at the allotted time and began to observe the silence. About 20s in the phone went. It was a pimp.

I silenced the call, let it go to voicemail. Time was added on for the interruption.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Quite evocative, but not enough to persuade a couple of thoughtless tits to stop rabbiting away behind me for the whole two minutes (Indians as it happens, without wishing to sound racist as over a million Indians fought in WW1 and 74,000 were killed )
    Didn't you feel it would have been reasonable to walk over them and discretely tell them to stop being so disrespectful and STFU?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    As usual, the 11/11 at 11:11, its the start of Karneval season here which means, primarily, nearly everyone in Köln and Mainz went on the razz

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    How is that considered silence?

In a word - multitasking

(Getting some work done, but at the same time reflecting on all those who fell in the World Wars ..)

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    In an office of ICTs here, so they were all busy typing away

No announcement, but everyone else refrained from working (But being public sector that wasn't a big ask)

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Myco had a 2 minute silence where the entire office held their breath hoping that nothing cringeworthy would happen such as someone blundering in on their phone

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Total silence. No-one even typing.
    Quite!

..... a quiet time to discretely continue typing......
    Dick!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Announcements over the PA system here ahead of time, followed by another at the appointed time and another 2mins later.

Total silence. No-one even typing.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    We had an email this morning mentioning the two minute silence at 11am

Then at the appointed time, when I wasn't expecting anything in particular except a quiet time to discretely continue typing,
    How is that considered silence?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X