• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving into Rented Accommodation"

Collapse

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you love the place and it's more than just an asset to you, why not consider extending? If you're in the sticks it sounds like there would be space and not too many planning issues?
    Got planning permission & plans drawn up but the quotes I got were eye watering. That's before adding 20% VAT.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I've put so much work into this place over the years, especially in the garden and I've become somewhat attached to the place.
    It's also in a very quiet secluded spot & most of the properties I've been looking at haven't got that level of privacy, or are on a busy road etc. Problem is, I need more space hence the need for a move but I worry that I won't find anything that ticks all the boxes & once I've sold up there's no turning back.
    If you love the place and it's more than just an asset to you, why not consider extending? If you're in the sticks it sounds like there would be space and not too many planning issues?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What's mortgage application???
    Its like a Credit application for a sofa but for a lot more money.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I've put so much work into this place over the years, especially in the garden and I've become somewhat attached to the place.
    It's also in a very quiet secluded spot & most of the properties I've been looking at haven't got that level of privacy, or are on a busy road etc. Problem is, I need more space hence the need for a move but I worry that I won't find anything that ticks all the boxes & once I've sold up there's no turning back.
    I'm guessing you live up North but even there house sale activity is beginning to pick up quite quickly now in most areas. Apparently Stoke is the new hot-spot .

Years ago, around 2009 in fact, my cousin and her husband sold their place but hadn't found a house to buy. It took them a while to sell because the housing market had slowed drastically around that time, so they were happy to sell and - I believe - they thought prices would come down and they would buy their next house cheaper.

They have been renting ever since. That's right, 6 years of money thrown into the rent bin - and only now have found a place to buy. Their old place has doubled in value (East London somewhere) and the place they're buying is around 50% more expensive than it would have been in 2009. So they've lost all the way.

For now, house prices are likely to keep rising, especially out of London, so don't procrastinate too long ... good luck

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Sell. Worry about the consequences later.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What's mortgage???
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Are you selling your house to AtW ?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Agreed.

If you are in place where buyers are few and far between then sell up.

You have 5 months in which to find and do a role anywhere in the country to get your mortgage application through then you can dump the role.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I am completing on my sale tomorrow, finally; and am living with family whilst waiting for my purchase to go through. Only, I've now pulled out of the purchase and thus have stalled my mortgage application.
    What's mortgage application???

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I've today had to quit my current contract for various unavoidable reasons.
    Ohhh do tell more

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    This is kind of happening to me right now.

I am completing on my sale tomorrow, finally; and am living with family whilst waiting for my purchase to go through. Only, I've now pulled out of the purchase and thus have stalled my mortgage application.

I've today had to quit my current contract for various unavoidable reasons.

Without an approved mortgage offer or contract to help facilitate one, it looks like I may have to shelve the house purchase - for now. But one thing I'm sure of is that I want the sale to go through irrespective of any of the above.

Unless you pull the plug on your sale, I'd probably just rent in your position.

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    A coworker I knew did this years ago. Sold up, moved into rented for 6 months. In that time the prices went nuts and they could no longer afford the house they had just sold.

Not that it will happen these days but sucked for them.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    most importantly, what are your skills and what is your chance of getting another contract ?

Milan

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Where do you live ? In some dump ? Every house that has come on sale in the last couple of years has gone to offer within a week.
    Middle of nowhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X