• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can I earn 20K A Month As IT Contractor?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Didn't everyone on a 30 day billing cycle get paid over 20k this month??

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    COBOL bill puts up his hand

I got an exception !!!
    Needs to improve his error handling then......

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    Good for him. Does "10 days unpaid" mean 10 days of work they won't pay for, or 10 days off site not working?
    10 days (chosen randomly by someone I've yet to figure out who, and no idea of or projects or delivery schedule, or impacts) holiday with no pay

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    So management told all the contractors 10%cut + 10days unpaid was across the board no exceptions for anyone in IT, take it or leave it, NO EXCEPTIONS. !!!

I got an exception !!!

10 minutes of anarchy follows, Bill gives me the lunchtime beer secret signal - we leave, hopefully cammed down a bit on our return

Good for him. Does "10 days unpaid" mean 10 days of work they won't pay for, or 10 days off site not working?

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    So management told all the contractors 10%cut + 10days unpaid was across the board no exceptions for anyone in IT, take it or leave it, NO EXCEPTIONS. !!!

I got an exception !!!

10 minutes of anarchy follows, Bill gives me the lunchtime beer secret signal - we leave, hopefully cammed down a bit on our return

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I liked COBOL*, but I really liked CICS/COBOL.

(*PL/1 was ok but more fiddly).

I was a better maintenance coder than a developer though, I could spot a bug a mile off, but my clean-cut code wasn't the best.
    Your camouflage with a lollipop suggests you are too young to have heard of COBOL lass

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I liked COBOL*, but I really liked CICS/COBOL.

(*PL/1 was ok but more fiddly).

I was a better maintenance coder than a developer though, I could spot a bug a mile off, but my clean-cut code wasn't the best.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I think the trick is to build something that is both mission critical and un-maintainable
    pay me maintenance fee of 1200 daily or your business is focked ;D i love the spirit.
    Or simply give compiled dlls without a source. Serves the same purpose

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    Fack me I should have learned COBOL
    I think the trick is to build something that is both mission critical and un-maintainable

Leave a comment:

• Pherlopolus
    replied
    my memories of learning cobol were that you had to be really good at typing, and have good eyes for missing full stops on code printouts.

Too old for that now...

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    and whats stopping you now ?

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    We pay a cobol programmer £1200 a day every day, to basically mock the agile guys and pair programming

The bank got rid of him 18 months ago and replaced with Indians (3 week handover , he wrote the system and supported for 22 years) but no, 3 week handover was appropriate

All is well until system has issues and Indians feck up and cost millions

Old man fixes in 10 mins after he stops laughing on the phone

Bank now to scared to replace,he now comes into the office every day and reads his book

And yes he will be reading this thread and laughing tomorrow
    thats actually great story to tell to negotiate better rate =) take me or it will cost you MILLIONSSSS

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

And all the contractors bowed before him chanting "we are not worthy".

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Can I earn 20K A Month As IT Contractor?

We pay a cobol programmer £1200 a day every day, to basically mock the agile guys and pair programming

The bank got rid of him 18 months ago and replaced with Indians (3 week handover , he wrote the system and supported for 22 years) but no, 3 week handover was appropriate

All is well until system has issues and Indians feck up and cost millions

Old man fixes in 10 mins after he stops laughing on the phone

Bank now to scared to replace,he now comes into the office every day and reads his book

Last edited by tarbera; 4 October 2015, 21:54.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X