• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Facebook Down!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Facebook Down!"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Zuck: "Move fast and break things!"
    FB Dev: "Or we could aim for quality engineering, the better to serve our users."
    Zuck: "…Huh?"

Although, to be fair, they have supposedly dropped the "MFABT" approach over the last year or so. Not dropped it from high enough, though, it seems
    When I talked to some of their people a few years back, they were boasting about how the code you wrote this morning could be used by millions this afternoon. Rather than apologising for it.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    I just checked my suggestions. Got a fair number from people at ClientCo. I've been here a month and not posted anything about it online, not mentioned the client name, not added anyone, hardly even been on Facebook at all. The two possibilities I can think of are the fact that I've logged in once via the client network, so IP tracking, or that I've logged in on mobile so geo tracking. Bloody know alls.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Who was it here, who posted about seemingly completely random people popping up in their 'People you might know' section - Pondy?

I assume it's that the random [CUK] person has been eyeballing your profile somehow.
    Yup, there's at least three on the suggested friends list that I have no friends in common with. All are people I've worked with in the past (pre 2010) but not had any contact recently and not connected to on linked in either.

Weird!

Unless you are really a very tall nordic chap named Ekku and you're stalking me. Are you?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    FB and Twitter are fundamentally different (despite attempts to copy bits of each other). Like sick and poo.

FB's been down a bit the last week or so. Big engineering changes or just regular cockup?
    Zuck: "Move fast and break things!"
    FB Dev: "Or we could aim for quality engineering, the better to serve our users."
    Zuck: "…Huh?"

Although, to be fair, they have supposedly dropped the "MFABT" approach over the last year or so. Not dropped it from high enough, though, it seems

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    FB and Twitter are fundamentally different (despite attempts to copy bits of each other). Like sick and poo.

FB's been down a bit the last week or so. Big engineering changes or just regular cockup?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Who was it here, who posted about seemingly completely random people popping up in their 'People you might know' section - Pondy?

I assume it's that the random [CUK] person has been eyeballing your profile somehow.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The Daily Mail is pretty much a summary of @rsebook and Tw@tter, so just head over there and post your comments with all the other mentally impaired selfie-stick morons.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    This always amuses me. You do know that everyone sees something different on these platforms? You select the content. If it's full of banal morons, then that's your chums. If you cant find anyone with anything interesting to follow on twitter, then you probably couldn't find a good book in a library.
    True, I have no friends (not that the dingbats who count their "friends" list by the thousands and whose self worth is measured by said list), but I do own an extensive library of published works

I have a rather extensive issue with the signal to noise ratio on what is termed "social media" and the behaviour that accompanies the following/friend/bottypal thing.
    Hell people are so desperately concerned about posting their exciting lives that they will watch a concert/ballet/play via a poxy screen on a phone rather than looking at it directly and they won't safely leave the scene of a disaster and put their lives and more importantly some poor emergency service persons life at risk because they've got to record it for their Faceache.

I know the true worshippers at the Zuckerberg altar consider me a luddite and a heretic, but in truth apart from putting piccies of the kids up for Auntie Joan in Australia to see and should be private to the family, I really don't see much value in the platforms.

They have become the source of wildly ill directed outrage on countless occasions and do serve to embarrass a bad service provider, but only because they over value the platforms to start off with.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    On the rare occasions I've looked at Faceache and Tw@tter I've not noticed any difference, they're equally full of banalities, fantasists and endless dribble.
    It seems since their inception people have decided that any type of personal privacy is a bit tedious. No wonder they're so easy to defraud, the fake psychics must love those sad sack systems.
    This always amuses me. You do know that everyone sees something different on these platforms? You select the content. If it's full of banal morons, then that's your chums. If you cant find anyone with anything interesting to follow on twitter, then you probably couldn't find a good book in a library.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Panic over. I've texted everyone I know and told them what I had for dinner.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Er, I am on FB and I am not a fantasist.

HTH
    And that completes the case for the prosecution M'lud, shall we head straight to sentencing? Oh and I'd like to lodge a private prosecution against the defendant for perjury and wasting the courts time.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    On the rare occasions I've looked at Faceache and Tw@tter I've not noticed any difference, they're equally full of banalities, fantasists and endless dribble.
    It seems since their inception people have decided that any type of personal privacy is a bit tedious. No wonder they're so easy to defraud, the fake psychics must love those sad sack systems.
    Er, I am on FB and I am not a fantasist.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh great, now they'll be filling Twitter with their banalities

Leave a comment:

• raphal
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Suppose I am gonna have to talk to the other half now
    I don't know what's cooking.. India PM met Mark y'day.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Oh great, now they'll be filling Twitter with their banalities

Leave a comment:

Working...
X