• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Four-day workweek - your preference (mo-th / tu-fr)"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Depends on your idea of what a HUGE warchest is. £50k might do a single person who has no commitments, whereas £300k might not be enough for a married person with 2 or 3 kids and possibly at the end-of-life product contracting.

Greed isn't always the factor. Income on the table and warchest in the bank is more the security blanket for many contractors, because you just don't know where the next contract will come from, or if it will be worth taking, or it might be too far away and you don't want to be away from family. So - why not exhaust as much as you can from the cow that's cashing out right now, and then you will have the freedom of choice later.

Everything in perspective though. And it's easy to lose perspective, so you have to tether yourself to what is really important in life and remind yourself what it's all for. After all, we won't live forever.
    Exactly what I mean. Its hard to turn down money now because you don't know whats around the corner.

Probably a bit of confidence in yourself needed. Knowing that you can get something else if current gig ends unexpectedly.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    But we're all too greedy and theres an aspect of make hay while the sun shines etc.

Different if you've got a HUGE warchest but even then you'd be thinking, I'll just top it up a bit more. Might as well.
    Depends on your idea of what a HUGE warchest is. £50k might do a single person who has no commitments, whereas £300k might not be enough for a married person with 2 or 3 kids and possibly at the end-of-life product contracting.

Greed isn't always the factor. Income on the table and warchest in the bank is more the security blanket for many contractors, because you just don't know where the next contract will come from, or if it will be worth taking, or it might be too far away and you don't want to be away from family. So - why not exhaust as much as you can from the cow that's cashing out right now, and then you will have the freedom of choice later.

Everything in perspective though. And it's easy to lose perspective, so you have to tether yourself to what is really important in life and remind yourself what it's all for. After all, we won't live forever.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If your rate isn't high enough to survive on 4 billable days a week, something is wrong THe higher earning power of contracting is WHY I think we suit 4 day weeks so well.
    But we're all too greedy and theres an aspect of make hay while the sun shines etc.

Different if you've got a HUGE warchest but even then you'd be thinking, I'll just top it up a bit more. Might as well.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    I tried this on a renewal with a 25% rise per day, so the cost was the same to the client, didn't work because they reckoned they'd be needing me in most Fridays, ho hum
    Same total time spent in the office though? MAkes for 4 LONG days.

Saying that might work at client who expects long hours each day. Just say yeah I'll work 9/9.5 hours no problem then take one day per week off!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I'm surprised more contractors don't work 4 day weeks - after you've been offered a renewal seems a perfect chance to negotiate this.
    4 days working the hours for 5 days and billing for 5?
    Or just billing 4 days and taking the hit?

Yeh I agree. I'd love to do. Current gig would pay more in 4 days by miles than others I've done 5 days for. Its just greed to work for the full 5 days.

One of the permies at client does it. No work friday. Hes off doing stuff every friday. Just says I can pay my bills on 4 days so why stress and work the 5? Good attitude that.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Tell me about it.

Some years ago I set out from London one friday at midday, aiming to "beat the rush hour" or so I fondly imagined. But after battling up the M1 then M6, past a few roadworks and a couple of accidents, I finally reached Manchester at 10:30pm completely frazzled.

But travelling West across country, from Cambridge to Devon, usually isn't too bad on fridays as long as one reaches the M4/M5 at Bristol after about 8pm.
    fook the M6 on most days

take m54

then either a41 to a49 and up

or carry on on m54 to a49

unless disaster happens you can normally be hitting the m56 in 2 hours doing that

as opposed to the 6 hours staying on the m6

and you can have that for free!

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    If your rate isn't high enough to survive on 4 billable days a week, something is wrong THe higher earning power of contracting is WHY I think we suit 4 day weeks so well.
    You are correct on both counts

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    I meant at the same rate, duh
    Oh, my rate isn't high enough for that yet

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I meant at the same rate, duh

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    I'm surprised more contractors don't work 4 day weeks - after you've been offered a renewal seems a perfect chance to negotiate this.
    I tried this on a renewal with a 25% rise per day, so the cost was the same to the client, didn't work because they reckoned they'd be needing me in most Fridays, ho hum

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    It would depend if I had to travel to site or commute any distance.

Friday is really a pig on the roads, so I'd do Monday-Thursday.
    Don't agree with that.

I often find Friday is quiter as people who take a day off to make a long weekend tend to take the Friday.

Monday morning is hell and I'd take the Monday just to avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    It's even a bit counter intuitive as there are less people working on a Friday, but the travelling "rush hour" is not only miles more horrific, but it's more like 8-10 hours of horrific.
    The Northbound traffic gets horrible at a bit after midday on Friday and just gets more horrendous until about 7pm when it starts to tail off to just bloody awful to not far before midnight. Considering the majority of Friday going North drivers are single people in business type cars not families going for a weekend away it's basically folk going home.
    Tell me about it.

Some years ago I set out from London one friday at midday, aiming to "beat the rush hour" or so I fondly imagined. But after battling up the M1 then M6, past a few roadworks and a couple of accidents, I finally reached Manchester at 10:30pm completely frazzled.

But travelling West across country, from Cambridge to Devon, usually isn't too bad on fridays as long as one reaches the M4/M5 at Bristol after about 8pm.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Likewise, Weds and Fridays are a home day for me. Friday traffic is awful, and in addition being at home that day allows for Friday night social planning more easily.

I don't mind Mondays per say and it's usually a good day to be in the office to show the client your face and to kick start the week off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X