• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why is a quad bike called a quad bike"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    There may have been 4 people on a quad bike but does it mean that they were actually driving dangerously?. it is amazing how the swivel eyed judgemental immediately jump to conclusions without seeing any evidence
    Well your sentence actually shows they were driving dangerously, there were 4 of them on a vehicle made only for 2 which may well have contributed to the accident as it was overloaded. They also had no number plates on it so if they were on the road then once again another minus point which makes me think that it was possibly a farm vehicle so could quite well have broken, missing or no lights at all. Don't jump to conclusions...

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    Bansturbator!

I think they look rather good fun as a matter of fact.

Very useful for farmers too.
    Exactly, but not when driven by a bell end up your road they are not. Should be treated the same as a Segway!

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    +1 Quad bikes are a dangerous nuisance and should be banned from public roads.
    Bansturbator!

I think they look rather good fun as a matter of fact.

Very useful for farmers too.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It's not about deserving. But stupidity is often fatal.
    Everything happens for a reason.

And sometimes that reason is stupidity.

But it is still a huge shame.

And the families of those left behind will do a lot of suffering.

Leave a comment:

• Intel
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Could merit a mention in the Darwin Awards, no question about that.
    Technically only three of them are eligible....one has already reproduced.....

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
    I think that there was a strong hint that the car may have been racing with the Quad bike, which may change things slightly.
    My impression was that the car had been haring up and down the road, and smashed into the back of the quadbike, whose riders (young farm workers I believe) were unknown to the car occupants and had been just tootling along minding their own business.

A local farmer said he had heard loud car revving and tyre squealing noises for an hour or two before the incident, louder he said than the typical noise made by boy racers that regularly used that stretch of road.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    TBH I'd be questioning the actions of a 21 and 22 year old in a 350Z. That's a lot of car for that age. They can be bought so cheaply now. Mine must be worth 6k tops now.

I'd be interested to see where a 22 year old got insurance for it though. Mine isn't cheap and I had to hunt around for a decent one.

I can't believe for one minute their driving wasn't the major cause of the accident however many people were on the quad.
    350Z!, And here's me thinking you were a Jag Man

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    TBH I'd be questioning the actions of a 21 and 22 year old in a 350Z. That's a lot of car for that age. They can be bought so cheaply now. Mine must be worth 6k tops now.

I'd be interested to see where a 22 year old got insurance for it though. Mine isn't cheap and I had to hunt around for a decent one.

I can't believe for one minute their driving wasn't the major cause of the accident however many people were on the quad.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Could merit a mention in the Darwin Awards, no question about that.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    So the riders even if they were pootling along at 5 miles an hour deserved to die?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Well, that's not what I said, and I rather suspect you know that.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Quad bikes are great to ride, as a one-person, off-road machine. You do have to treat them with respect though - you're still as unprotected as you are on a motorbike, arguably more so with the back wheels happy to run you over if you come off sideways.

Kids being dicks would hopefully lead to a verdict of misadventure.

If it's not a four-seater quad (which would make it more like the vehicle the Banana Splits used to zoom around in) then logic dictates that they were on the road illegally.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    So the riders even if they were pootling along at 5 miles an hour deserved to die?
    Well, that's not what I said, and I rather suspect you know that.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but I was talking about the car?

Anyway, with regards to the quadbike - it's near enough outright stated that the quad bike itself was unregistered. And, unless it was a somewhat rare 4 seater quadbike (Which I've literally never seen on a road and probably would be better described for witnesses - as they tend to have a roof etc), it's almost certainly going to have been overloaded. Given that quad bikes are inherently unstable (They're great fun, but are genuinely dangerous) then the fact it was being ridden at all puts them into a dangerous category.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    There may have been 4 people on a quad bike but does it mean that they were actually driving dangerously?. it is amazing how the swivel eyed judgemental immediately jump to conclusions without seeing any evidence
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but I was talking about the car?

Anyway, with regards to the quadbike - it's near enough outright stated that the quad bike itself was unregistered. And, unless it was a somewhat rare 4 seater quadbike (Which I've literally never seen on a road and probably would be better described for witnesses - as they tend to have a roof etc), it's almost certainly going to have been overloaded. Given that quad bikes are inherently unstable (They're great fun, but are genuinely dangerous) then the fact it was being ridden at all puts them into a dangerous category.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X