• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Council tax cheats."

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    And why arent councils thinking of ways to turn the rubbish they do collect in to money that can be reinvested back in to their council area?

Then again, this really is a typically British problem. Lets introduce a new tax (collection fees) instead of actually dealing with the problem (getting packaging reduced!).

Mailman
    The British problem is actually to charge you for things you previously enjoyed for free........used to be part of the package of 'nationality'

Now we are only 'consumers' inhabiting a island off the coast of Western Europe

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Council tax is levied to pay for the pensions of local government employees. If councils actually want to provide services, they need to think of ways of levying money on top of that.
    And why arent councils thinking of ways to turn the rubbish they do collect in to money that can be reinvested back in to their council area?

Then again, this really is a typically British problem. Lets introduce a new tax (collection fees) instead of actually dealing with the problem (getting packaging reduced!).

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I agree

I forsee a roaring trade in Gordon Brown's residence coded RFID chips. Maybe an 'anti RFID scanning field' errected in your street to prevent snooping?

I wonder how they are going to prove its only your rubbish in there? I frequently avail myself of peoples wheelie bins when out and about, to dispose of my coke can / pie wrapper when there are no public rubbish bins.

Will we have locks on our bins?
    Will we need to install CCTV to monitor our bins?
    Will we see irate housholders coming to blows over 'Sly tipping'?

Will they meter usage of public rubbish bins? Will you need to insert your identity card to dispose of your cigarette butt?

Also will there be new 'bin benefits' for 'Britains non hard working parents' i.e. the scroungers.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    What's to stop you swapping your bin with a neighbour who puts out less rubbish than you?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Is it beyond the ability of some on this board to nobble these chips, so the charge for every kg gets sent to
    He-Whom-It-Would-Be-Morally-Justifiable-To-Stab-Although-I-Am-Not-Personally-Calling-For-His-Stabbing ? or at least the leader of the local council.

If not I bet there will soon be a few Albanians who can.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Think of the potential for the techy community.

This will work by weighing your bin and then scanning the chip to work out who has to pay for it. Now, if someone could work out a way to re-programme the chip to send the bill to your local councillors or the miserable old b@stard over the road.......

We have a landfill bin, a green bin, a glass/tins bin, a paper bag, a cardboard sack and an old clothes bin and it works fine. Mind you I've got a dirty great big double garage to keep all my re-cycling bins and bags in. There's been a lot of moaning locally from those who are too bleedin' idle to seperate their rubbish out a bit.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bernard Common
    No questions asked?
    Well I havnt tried it with a binliner full of charred and dismembered body parts yet, but the next time the Jehovah Witnesses show up I'll give it a go.

Leave a comment:

• Bernard Common
    replied
    No questions asked?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    We get 1 week rubbish 1 week recycled. But they do a special collection every 6 weeks where they will take anything except :

a) car tyres
    b) toilets.

Otherthan that just stack it up outside the night before, as much as you like, and they take it all away FOC.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    When disposing of hard drives, I find the only sure way is to rub an industrial strength electromagnet over the surface, saw the disk into quarters, book a trip on a North Sea ferry to Bergen and dump one quarter over the side at 5 hourly intervals.

Those identity thieves will never take me alive.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Hope you killed the hard disks...
    too savvy to let them go ...

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    oh! and our recycling bucket thing is the size of a large shoe box. If it does't fit in the bucket they won't take it.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    we get one week black bin next week green bin. Real pain in the arse when you are doing DIY and producing lots of black bin rubbish

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    We don't have bins, bags only. It makes it easier for them to quickly inspect your bag and then refuse to take it as it is deemded to contain contraband(?sp).

Soon we'll be on fortnightly collections for rubbish and weekly for recycling, although that is limited to paper and tins only.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I tend to make sure they are at the bottom of the bin and obscured by left over food/nappies/etc.

By the time they have realised that a couple of old computer cases have gone in the back of the bin truck it's to late anyway

Leave a comment:

Working...
X