• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Goodbye Oliver Sacks."

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Look, the guy was a bit of a bulltuliper, I'm sorry you heard it from me, them's the breaks.
    Nice sidestep. I don't care about Sacks, I was referring to your bad-mouthing NickFitz.

Which I'm sure you knew.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Look, the guy was a bit of a bulltuliper.
    Mirror, mirror on the wall............

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Look, the guy was a bit of a bulltuliper, I'm sorry you heard it from me, them's the breaks.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You can be quite an unpleasant character sometimes minestrone.
    To be fair though, I told you that years ago

I love the way a poster can, in all seriousness have a pop at the academic qualifications of someone he doesn't know and prove his omnipresence by quoting Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    You are presenting everything that is wrong with the information age. You don't hold a tertiary qualification in any subject you are kicking off about here but you are wanting to go at this topic online considering yourself an expert.

Mathematics? Medicine? OR did you just get some third in some dodgy arts degree?
    You can be quite an unpleasant character sometimes minestrone.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Oh I just check Wikipedia..

"The Dog Beneath the Skin", concerning a 22-year-old medical student, "Stephen D.", who, after a night under the influence of amphetamines, cocaine, and PCP, wakes to find he has a tremendously heightened sense of smell.[1][page needed] Sacks would reveal many years later that he, in fact, was Stephen D.[7]"
    And Wikipedia is ALWAYS right. I've known that since back in the days when Hitler invented the lightbulb.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    How odd.

This 2nd page is totally empty.
    It's nice to think these tales of mental illness are true they are generally his confabulations. Physician, heal thyself.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I'm quite prepared to attack your stupidity at will, I can quite easily make mockery of what you think is your intellect.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I love being right.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    So essentially he was a habitual user of psychoactive drugs and has a track record of bulltulip.

Next.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Come on then, instead of attacking Nick, how about showing us your sources for your statement.
    Oh I just check Wikipedia..

"The Dog Beneath the Skin", concerning a 22-year-old medical student, "Stephen D.", who, after a night under the influence of amphetamines, cocaine, and PCP, wakes to find he has a tremendously heightened sense of smell.[1][page needed] Sacks would reveal many years later that he, in fact, was Stephen D.[7]"

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Source? Everything I can find about him suggests that he is almost universally regarded as deserving of great respect for his work as a neuroscientist. There has been some criticism of his descriptions of autistic savants, and some have questioned whether he could be said to have exploited some of his subjects with his anecdotal style. But it's hardly uncommon for academics and scientists to seek to dismiss and denigrate those whose work gains popularity with the wider population, usually in a manner which signally fails to conceal their clear envy of financial and critical success that sadly eludes their own work.
    You are presenting everything that is wrong with the information age. You don't hold a tertiary qualification in any subject you are kicking off about here but you are wanting to go at this topic online considering yourself an expert.

Mathematics? Medicine? OR did you just get some third in some dodgy arts degree?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I think the book has been now proven to be a work of complete fiction, the reality is he was a bit of a bulltulipter.
    Source? Everything I can find about him suggests that he is almost universally regarded as deserving of great respect for his work as a neuroscientist. There has been some criticism of his descriptions of autistic savants, and some have questioned whether he could be said to have exploited some of his subjects with his anecdotal style. But it's hardly uncommon for academics and scientists to seek to dismiss and denigrate those whose work gains popularity with the wider population, usually in a manner which signally fails to conceal their clear envy of financial and critical success that sadly eludes their own work.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Wrote some interesting books in particular:

"The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat"

That would have been an interesting marriage. It must have been very frustrating trying to fit her around his ears.

OCAQ

3:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWY69mTr5gM

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Wrote some interesting books in particular:

"The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat"

That would have been an interesting marriage. It must have been very frustrating trying to fit her around his ears.

I think the book has been now proven to be a work of complete fiction, the reality is he was a bit of a bulltulipter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X