• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: If Corbyn gets in

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If Corbyn gets in"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    People who say they care for others when all they are interested in is being seen to care for others
    But if people didn't say that they cared for others then how would you know that they're being cared for?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I know it helps you to have an enemy to argue against, so you can get yourself all frothed up, but I'm not left-wing or a Labour/Corbyn supporter. You're simply playing into the left-wing rhetoric that "right wing == selfish, uncaring elitist" by confusing people caring for other people as being left-wing.
    People who say they care for others when all they are interested in is being seen to care for others

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The amount you bleat on about it, you surely do.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I know it helps you to have an enemy to argue against, so you can get yourself all frothed up, but I'm not left-wing or a Labour/Corbyn supporter. You're simply playing into the left-wing rhetoric that "right wing == selfish, uncaring elitist" by confusing people caring for other people as being left-wing.
    You're confusing me with someone who gives a toss.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Which means that if Corbyn gets elected, we could get a new Thatcherite government after the country has been unionised and d000hg has w*nked himself to death.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Your welcome - I just thought it best to have a few facts in the conversation. All this "taking us back to the 70's" and "anyone above £50k will have to subsidise the workshy" stuff is getting very Tony Blair/Rupert Murdoch.

He's probably going to win the labour leadership and come 2020 who knows what will happen especially with CMD and co sticking 2 fingers up to the 99% on a daily basis... People have had enough and we're seeing it at every event he goes to speak at.

Get your crying out of your system now, it will feel better down the line
    Besides wanting to outlaw tax avoidance (chortle), another of his "tax justice" principles from that manifesto you cited is:

Reform of small business taxation to discourage avoidance and tackle tax evasion.
    Anyone who thinks that implies simply beefing up IR35 a bit is seriously deluded.

It is far more likely to involve forcing self-employed into industry-specific collective umbrella companies, through which client payments are made and then the "workers" being paid from these net of tax (and at standard income bands based on the nature of your "job" - No negotiating your own rate, it will be collective bargaining).

Make no mistake, that sort of thing is what Corbyn and his like are about.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Thatcher faced an extremist Labour party that let rubbish pile up on the streets.

DC is a twunt - but he will have to do a lot worse for Corbyn to get elected.

Maybe in 2018 Greece will finally go kaput. Or some other event will make Corbyn electable? Who can tell?
    Which means that if Corbyn gets elected, we could get a new Thatcherite government after the country has been unionised and d000hg has w*nked himself to death.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Maybe Corbyn is to the Labour Party what Thatcher was to the Tories: An unelectable extremist who hijacked their party has already served as prime minister
    Thatcher faced an extremist Labour party that let rubbish pile up on the streets.

DC is a twunt - but he will have to do a lot worse for Corbyn to get elected.

Maybe in 2018 Greece will finally go kaput. Or some other event will make Corbyn electable? Who can tell?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Maybe Corbyn is to the Labour Party what Thatcher was to the Tories: An unelectable extremist who hijacked their party has already served as prime minister

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    £37.5 hour week on minimum wage gives you approx. £250 before tax.

so lets see

rent for a small bedsit - £100 p/w
    food for a week - £30 p/w

there you go £70 approx. left to spend on beer

but then is poverty living with not much left over after the bare essentials

or is poverty not being able to afford sky, an iPhone and a foreign holiday once per year?

because if it is the later most of us over 40 grew up in poverty so you can see why sympathy is pretty minimal
    The poor don't go on foreign holidays. Many of them have never been outside the town they were born in.

I mean you've not counted council tax, utilities, travel costs, for a start. And then what about saving money for clothes, dental/optician, unexpected circumstances - the issue living so close to your paycheque is one little thing can tip you over... even the time it takes for benefits to start coming through if you find yourself out of work.

Your view matches one subsection of society, that is true. But to tar all of "the hard working poor" with the same brush is simply unfair. Those I know, and know of, don't really fit that mould.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    And this is where Corbyn will work his magic and fix things in the society. What we have is the poor and low income people who cannot afford basic necessities like Sky and IPhone and a holiday, but the upper middle class and rich can afford multiple holidays and multiple iphones. Corbyn will fix this inequality and ensure that rich will be able to afford one iphone and one holiday same as the poor who can now afford the basic necessities and can lead a better life.

I just cannot wait for him to be PM, its going to be revolutionary and once in a generation change to society and governance. We will be able to proudly tell our grandchildren that we made this happen and their good life is due to us showing some intelligence.
    This is a wind up isn't it? Loved the bit about Sky and an iPhone being basic necessities. [emoji23]

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Good bit in Private Eye today about what JC says vs. what the media reports he says. Here's a taster:

What Corbyn says: [asked if Tony Blair should face trial] "If he committed a war crime, yes. Everyone who's committed a war crime should be... Is he going to be tried for it, I don't know. Could he be tried for it? Possibly."

What the headline says: "Tony Blair must face trial for war crimes, says Jeremy Corbyn"

For more, buy the mag. Page 7 is what you'll; wantin'.

PS. for the Tony Blair dog whistle crowd, yes, we know, don't bother. This is about Jeremy Corbyn.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Quite right...I remember the 70's too...

Which is very nice but I am more concerned about everyone becoming a Chav

Monica

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    The problem is that just because you raise someone's standard of living you do not raise their moral standard.

So that nice detached house you bought in a nice area within the catchment area of a good school will stop being that.

To make all people equal you have to set the standard at the lowest level.

Experience has taught us this.
    Quite right...I remember the 70's too...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    The problem is that just because you raise someone's standard of living you do not raise their moral standard.

So that nice detached house you bought in a nice area within the catchment area of a good school will stop being that.

To make all people equal you have to set the standard at the lowest level.

Experience has taught us this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X