• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Decent Hotels in Manchester."

Collapse

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Personally I'd look for boutique hotels if you are going to pay Hilton prices. It's still just a Hilton. For the same money you can get some amazing hotels. Didsbury house for example...

Didsbury House **** | A small luxury town house hotel - Didsbury House - Eclectic Hotels Manchester
    +1

Stayed at the Didsbury a fair bit, very nice too. Can sometimes get reasonable weekday rates as their main clientele is the weekend wedding trade.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Indeed, they might also have a discount rate going direct. Although you are relying on someone else which introduces more chance of a screw-up

I prefer TripAdvisor for researching places, myself.
    So do I but you also need to check the number of reviews.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you are recharging to the client ask them if they can book and pay for the hotel for you.
    Indeed, they might also have a discount rate going direct. Although you are relying on someone else which introduces more chance of a screw-up

I prefer TripAdvisor for researching places, myself.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Personally I'd look for boutique hotels if you are going to pay Hilton prices. It's still just a Hilton. For the same money you can get some amazing hotels. Didsbury house for example...

Didsbury House **** | A small luxury town house hotel - Didsbury House - Eclectic Hotels Manchester
    Boutique hotels aren't going to give you the points and frequent flyer miles that the Hilton does - my 11 months at Orange got me two weeks in Hawaii

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
    Booked the Palace £79...

Abode looks good and may use that for the regular stint next month..

Cheers all.
    A couple of good pubs near enough straight over the road:

The Salisbury Ale House (Manchester, England): Address, Phone Number, Bar & Club Reviews - TripAdvisor

The Thirsty Scholar, Manchester - Restaurant Reviews & Photos - TripAdvisor

Just avoid Deansgate Locks - horrendously overpriced.

Leave a comment:

• MercladUK
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I wouldn't bother with Expedia unles you're on the FRS as you don't get VAT receipts from them (or you didn't when I last used them).
    Booked the Palace £79...

Abode looks good and may use that for the regular stint next month..

Cheers all.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Review what? You want somewhere clean and does a decent breakfast. Expedia is your friend, they have reviews.
    I wouldn't bother with Expedia unles you're on the FRS as you don't get VAT receipts from them (or you didn't when I last used them).

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Found the Abode quite acceptable, when we were up that way.

Abode Manchester (England) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

But... Didsbury???

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Hilton as someone else said....

or if you can bear to slum it there is a premier inn just the other side of the Mancunian way at bottom of the parkway which would be closer

given the fookin great big hole in the mancunian way at the moment you wanna be as close as possible as traffic is rubbish at the moment!

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    If in doubt, Premier Inn.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Hilton as someone else said....

or if you can bear to slum it there is a premier inn just the other side of the Mancunian way at bottom of the parkway which would be closer

given the fookin great big hole in the mancunian way at the moment you wanna be as close as possible as traffic is rubbish at the moment!

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    For the first few years of my career I worked for Refuge Assurance in Manchester keeping their Honeywell Bull mainframe fed with high quality COBOL. The company dated back to Victorian times and HQ was a labyrinthine brick structure on Oxford Road designed by Alfred Waterhouse, who was also responsible for the Town Hall. In the basement was a dance hall complete with sprung floor for employee tea dances, this being the company perk of choice in the 1890s. It was the staff restaurant when I was there. And the building had a lot of the original Victorian features, parquet flooring, pneumatic mail tubes, marble stairs, big brass timeclock, the company 'honeybee' logo worked into the masonry and the clock face ….

Refuge decamped to Wilmslow in the mid 1990s and, although the Halle orchestra expressed an interest in using the basement for rehearsals the premises were converted into the Palace Hotel. They've done a good job on the refurbishment , as I found out when I took Mrs PJ there for Valentine's this year, though it was a bit weird walking down the old 'management' corridor past offices that are now bedrooms.

Handy for the town centre, and Oxford Road station is opposite. Recommended.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The Gotham hotel..
    Hotel Gotham - Manchester

Am sure you could suffer a couple of nights here if you had to..

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you are recharging to the client ask them if they can book and pay for the hotel for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X