• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why we MUST ditch our lazy attitude to finding work through agents and agencies"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Please refrain from the sockie accusations.

Leave a comment:

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I take it you're not married then?

yeah not married

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
    How many remote contracts will let you take the same rate as being on site?

Ie I would like 600 pd contract working from home.
    Place 10 contractors and charge £300 per week margin. Not only can you "work" from home you won't have to do anything other than shuffle some invoices around.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    This sounds like a good plan, but aren't we all doing that anyway?
    I take it you're not married then?

Leave a comment:

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Ah, so the long game may be to push us into collecting larger warchests?
    This sounds like a good plan, but aren't we all doing that anyway?

Leave a comment:

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I run a ltd because I was forced to. The only way I could get contract work was via an agency using a ltd. Which means I use an accountant, indemnity , VAT FRS, etc etc.

Over the years I have had to adapt and I will adapt to this as well. The key fixed points are
    1. minimise aggro for the client
    2. costs will go up, particularly for staying away
    3. SDC will be certain, but then longer contracts are back on the agenda
    4. Agencies practices might change and not for the better

Seems to me that I will be going for longer contracts, insisting on a 3 or 4 day week with 10 - 12 hour days, pushing hard for WFH, pushing harder for direct
    How many remote contracts will let you take the same rate as being on site?

Ie I would like 600 pd contract working from home.

Leave a comment:

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    It may have been said already. I got 10 pages in and didn't see it. But why not negotiate a contract where T&E is part of the contract. That way you push the T&E onto the client. I do this with my contractors now. Any expenses they accrue I pay them back.
    Even if you push it to the client, from april 2016 won't we have to pay your travel from your personal expenses? And that can hurt if you are staying under the 40'odd k a year you take personally?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'll be bumping up rates to 600 pd and taking a huge salary per year
    It would be nicer if you retired this sockie instead.

Leave a comment:

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Rate rise?
    I'll be bumping up rates to 600 pd and taking a huge salary per year

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Ah right, yeah they don't make it easy
    Cheers bud, that's absolutely cleared everything up for me.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Play fair, it was the entire diatribe I didn't understand, not just part of it. IIRC correctly my accountant told me gross divvies are 10/9s of net divvies.
    Ah right, yeah they don't make it easy

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    What, you don't subscribe to the DIY approach
    Only in London.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    You don't understand the current difference between net and gross dividends?
    Play fair, it was the entire diatribe I didn't understand, not just part of it. IIRC correctly my accountant told me gross divvies are 10/9s of net divvies.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    There is no net dividend next year according to what you said, so either your dividend has no tax on it and thus is equal to gross, or the nasty HMRC wizard comes along and steals the entire thing
    Well the difference I suppose is for one you will no longer receive the dividend credit which confuses a lot of people.

So say for instance that the higher tax limit is 42k
    At present £10k salary and £28,800 net dividends (£32,000 gross dividends)

Next year higher tax limit £43k
    £11k salary, £5k dividends tax free and £27k taxed @ 7.5%

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    You don't understand the current difference between net and gross dividends?
    There is no net dividend next year according to what you said, so either your dividend has no tax on it and thus is equal to gross, or the nasty HMRC wizard comes along and steals the entire thing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X