• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scientist priests stating the obvious while taking our money - again"

Collapse

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You must be from The Other Side of the Valley.

You just can't trust the people from over by there.
    born and raised in the 'Diff

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I like Brillo and I'm Welsh but they are a funny bunch I still get strange looks even though I've now lived in the valleys for over 12 years, insular is good way to describe many of them.
    Indeed. If a Welshman came to England with a Wales shirt on the might get the odd bit of good natured banter. The other way round its going to cause trouble - even in the big towns.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I like Brillo and I'm Welsh but they are a funny bunch I still get strange looks even though I've now lived in the valleys for over 12 years, insular is good way to describe many of them.
    It's that funny greek hat you're wearing.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    That's banjo country up there!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    You don't like the Welsh, we get it. They probably don't like you either.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    However the Welsh, like the Scots, and BP, just like to whine, moan and bitch.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

I have to live in ****ing Wales! Full of racists.

The UK still spends more money than it earns. Something needs to change.
    Be nice Brillo, you know you love the Welsh language really. Ultimately if you want to save some money don't provide forms in other languages other than those native to the UK and don't provide translators either.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It does, but the Welsh language support doesnt costs us Billions (unless you add it up over about 20 years).

And what have "Scientist Priests" got to do with anything? No science involved here as far as I can see. The guy involved has a Ph.D in Theology. He's neither a priest nor a scientist, he's a politician and part time poet. This is a academic study on social and language issues. The closest it gets to science is that there may be some maths involved at some point.

He is costing money that could be better spent elsewhere. He is stating the obvious. The UK is falling being Asian countries - it badly needs to catch up.

FWIW I think the idea of a second language is superb. How about Mandarin? That would get the Chinese into Wales and really annoy the English. However the Welsh, like the Scots, just like to whine, moan and bitch.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

It does, but the Welsh language support doesnt costs us Billions (unless you add it up over about 20 years).

And what have "Scientist Priests" got to do with anything? No science involved here as far as I can see. The guy involved has a Ph.D in Theology. He's neither a priest nor a scientist, he's a politician and part time poet. This is a academic study on social and language issues. The closest it gets to science is that there may be some maths involved at some point.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I'm going to assume you are either trolling, or this is going in your application for Leader Writer on the Daily Mail.
    I assume he is pushing to learn Welsh so he can read the NextExMrsBP's divorce papers

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I'm going to assume you are either trolling, or this is going in your application for Leader Writer on the Daily Mail.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    "They're circulating among Welsh speakers because, unfortunately, it's all too common that things are not just badly translated, but are put together by people who have no idea about the language.
    "It's good to see people trying to translate, but they should really ask for expert help.
    "Everything these days seems to be written first in English and then translated.
    "Ideally, they should be written separately in both languages."
    for flips sake.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    'Urgent' need to boost spoken Welsh, Dr Sion Aled Owen says - BBC News

After getting grant money through Bangor University, Dr Owen said he will spend about 18 months carrying out his research.

Dr Owen, a prominent campaigner for the Welsh language during the bilingual sign protests of the 1970s, added: "Ultimately, if the Welsh language is only seen as an added qualification, which of course it is, if it is only seen as that and not as something important in life then children, especially those whose first language is English, will quite naturally revert to their first language."

This sort of project is where austerity needs to fall. And the first language in not English - it is American. Its spoken globally which helps. Removing Welsh as a language would save the country billions.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    BBC News - E-mail error ends up on road sign

Leave a comment:

• Scientist priests stating the obvious while taking our money - again

'Urgent' need to boost spoken Welsh, Dr Sion Aled Owen says - BBC News

After getting grant money through Bangor University, Dr Owen said he will spend about 18 months carrying out his research.

Dr Owen, a prominent campaigner for the Welsh language during the bilingual sign protests of the 1970s, added: "Ultimately, if the Welsh language is only seen as an added qualification, which of course it is, if it is only seen as that and not as something important in life then children, especially those whose first language is English, will quite naturally revert to their first language."

This sort of project is where austerity needs to fall. And the first language in not English - it is American. Its spoken globally which helps. Removing Welsh as a language would save the country billions.

Working...
X