• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lessons learnt

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lessons learnt"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Look after no 1

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Hi,

I'm into the second month of my first contract and I've read all the good advice on hear but I'm sure at some point I'll realise I've missed something.

What lessons have you guys learnt the hard way?

Thanks

VC
    If you want sensible answers don't post in General?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Leaving teaspoons in cups make your eye hurt when you drink.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Don't look at the sun through binoculars

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    I'm too tight to buy reference books too!
    I use the interweb.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Always go for a limited company. Never join a tax avoidance scheme.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Never be afraid to read a reference book at your desk (but don't lend them out, permies are generally too poor/tight to buy them themselves).
    I keep project management and Open Group books on mine. It's not what I do but shows that I code because I prefer to, not because I couldn't do their jobs....
    Last edited by eek; 7 June 2015, 18:44.

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    I'm too tight to buy reference books too!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Never be afraid to read a reference book at your desk (but don't lend them out, permies are generally too poor/tight to buy them themselves).

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    Always know slightly more than the perm you sit next to.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    always concentrate on security. check there is paper before you sit down

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    From my consultancy troubleshooting days (yep we've screwed up, get eek in to fix it) you need to be 1 page ahead of the client.

And if they are ahead of you just state that you need to doublecheck because you're sure there are some unintended consequences. Then swat up overnight.
    Last edited by eek; 7 June 2015, 17:32.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    To paraphrase another CUKer:

If you're going to be a smartarse, be sure as hell to get the smart bit right.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I only have two pieces of advice

1. Never tell all you know.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I have been contracting longer than most and there are TWO important principles that you should ALWAYS adhere to

1. look before you leap
    2. He who hesitates is lost
    And if you break your leg, don't come running to me!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X