• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have male clothing sizes become more flattering over the last 30 years?"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Are you seriously asking if 30" in the 70s is different from 30" today?
    When we joined the EU, the inch was metricised from 25.4 mm to 25 mm.

Meddling cheese/sausage eating bastards! No wonder my old clothes don't fit me anymore.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Bit off topic but still clothes related. Why must we have this daft thing that men's clothes button one way and women's another? Got a leather jacket of the late missus's that would look good on me but because of the button thing I would looks like a tranny if I wore it.
    I think most people aren't even aware of this, and wouldn't notice anyway? Maybe you move in more pretentious circles than me though

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Bit off topic but still clothes related. Why must we have this daft thing that men's clothes button one way and women's another? Got a leather jacket of the late missus's that would look good on me but because of the button thing I would looks like a tranny if I wore it.
    It stops men wearing women's clothes therefore clothing retailers make more money.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I very much doubt that anyone would notice you were buttoned the wrong way, but if it worries you, get a dressmaker to move the buttons to the other side - it's straightforward enough. Sew up button holes, put buttons on top so the sewing doesn't show, make new button holes on the other side.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Is that a problem? What would MF do?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Google NYDJ

Women have been subject to this for years.

Top tip. Look for jeans with 2% Lycra, Fatso!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Depends on the cut too. Guy I used to work with complained incessantly that he had to get bit size trousers in order to have sufficient room in the crotch. It was hilarious because he had inches of waistband gathered together by his belt, and he was oblivious to the fact that people tend to wear their trousers on their hips now, rather than their actual waist. If he wore them on his waist he'd have plenty of crotch room without miles of excess waistband.

I find, as others mentioned, that if you spend £40 on a pair of jeans then you have to try them on first. If you spend the thick end of £100 they tend to all be exactly the same every time.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    As d0000000000000000gh said, I thought this the other day after seeing some health thing and measuring my waist. I put it at 34" but 32" jeans are way too big unless I tighten up the belt with a hole I had to cut myself. 30" better but impossible to find without really short legs.

Maybe there's a difference between the fully relaxed dimension and what is needed to actually support any weight.

Or stand on your head to measure. Then your belly will end up round your tits.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 June 2015, 22:33.

Leave a comment:

• MercladUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Small, medium and large may have changed. 30" has not.
    30" will equal 20" 30" & 31" if you pay peanuts to a Korean factory worker

no QC

As SueEllen noted, I always try on at least 3 pairs of same size jeans/trousers especially in GAP to find the right pair

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Size measurements have got bigger over the year as people have got larger in both height and fatness.

Also many things are now made in the far east and Bangladesh so there is absolutely no way of comparing 70s clothing with today's sizes.

I've actually got 3 pairs of the "same size" jeans from Gap in exactly the same style. They are all different sizes and leg lengths.
    Small, medium and large may have changed. 30" has not.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Are you seriously asking if 30" in the 70s is different from 30" today?
    Size measurements have got bigger over the year as people have got larger in both height and fatness.

Also many things are now made in the far east and Bangladesh so there is absolutely no way of comparing 70s clothing with today's sizes.

I've actually got 3 pairs of the "same size" jeans from Gap in exactly the same style. They are all different sizes and leg lengths.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I've noticed it with different manufacturers, a Diesel 32 waist is quite a bit more than a Levi 32 waist which is a bit more than CK. Same with lengths as well...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    MF has gone from a 36 to a 48 - entirely due to changes in clothing size...
    The man is a walking talking advertisement for the benefits of Spandex!!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    My main bugbear with modern clothes is that gents' shirts are way too short, which means one must spent a fortune on made-to-measure shirts...
    There are other kinds of shirts? INKSPE etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X