• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: zero and oh!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "zero and oh!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    I always put

£X,0000,0000

Love
    AssGuru

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I always put

-----

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    My Gs look like 6s.

Dunno whether I cross or not - think I'm random, sometimes do, sometimes don't.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'm a 7 and Z man myself. I picked up the habit from maths, not because I'm resident in continental Europe. I only use a Ø in a computing or set theoretic context.

I used to do x as but I seem to have lost that habit.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I cross 0's & 7's, never done coding so no idea where I got the habit; not seen the crossed z's thou

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    I cross 7s & I cross Zs.

I don't cross 0s though.

It was never a problem since I used mini & micros, so never had the luxury of someone else typing in my code.

The Zs can get confusing in them hard sums wot I used to do with impedances and such like.

Differentiating between Z and 2 could be quite important.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Just found myself writing a zero as ∅, again. Does anyone else still do that, or am I a dinosaur?
    Yep I always do that, although people sometimes ask "is that an 8 ?", which makes me want to pull their ears off!

I don't cross my sevens though, as that is more of a continental thing. Had loads of Frenchmen ringing my phone number a few years ago because it contained a "1" which the daft twats had obviously written with a large hook at the top just like a "7".

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    +1 both zeros and sevens get that treatment from me.
    Ditt0 ™

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Just found myself writing a zero as ∅, again. Does anyone else still do that, or am I a dinosaur?
    I learned to code on coding sheets which used to get sent away to be punched. As I was a junior programmer mine were only single punched so I had to make the corrections myself on the old Rand-Sperry punch card machine or a hand punch when that went wrong. The senior programmers used to have the luxury of having their programs double punched which cost extra.

I cross my zeros and top and tail my i's to this day.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I always do a stroke through the 7, and through the z, but that's because I have lived in mainland Europe much more than in the UK: the "continental" 1 has a pronounced leading upstroke (to distinguish it from the "i") so a British 7 can easily be confused with it; and the European 2 does not have a loop or twist at the bottom left so could be confused with a z. Actually I learned that z in undergraduate maths even before Europe.

But the slash through the zero is pure and simple: coding sheets.

That's from when WFH meant taking a few coding pads home with you.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    me too...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I do

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    +1 both zeros and sevens get that treatment from me.
    Sevens always have with me, but that's how I was taught to do them as a small child, one of my nursery teachers was French. I think I picked up the zero habit about the time of my A levels, bit long ago, I don't find it easy to remember that far back

Leave a comment:

• TheCoconutDog
    replied
    +1472

Leave a comment:

Working...
X