• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sanctioned for a Year?"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Where can you get 5 apples for 60p?

And an apple is not as filling as a doughnut.
    Aldi

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-ra...it-veg-offers/

Offers change every week, but always have fruit and veg packs for 59p.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

shop around you can get pretty good cheap food, even the occasional treat.

Family Bargains were doing 39p nuke in the bag Indian meals, all healthy (veg & herbs) and quite tasty. tend to have them for lunch.

Fresh meat & veg pop to any supermarket at 8pm for reduced Aisle.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And I can get 5 apples for the same price as 5 doughnuts.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    And I can get 5 apples for the same price as 5 doughnuts.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    A treat isn't a meal. We're talking about lunch for someone working all day.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    But buying take-away is still more expensive than making a healthy lunch (although Greggs push it pretty close)
    You have 60p. You want to give your children a treat. 2 apples or 5 doughnuts?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It costs 3 times as much to feed a family healthily than to feed them rubbish.
    But buying take-away is still more expensive than making a healthy lunch (although Greggs push it pretty close)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    If/when I was on even a decent £30k salary I would consider spending £5 on lunch every day a ridiculous luxury - that's 10% or more of what you're going to earn in a low-paid job! Or maybe I'm just tight

I take your point that some sort of carrot can be very motivational though... for many a McD for lunch would be the highlight of their day.
    It costs 3 times as much to feed a family healthily than to feed them rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    basically a £5 a day bonus for working.
    "Why is working a choice in the first place?" was going to be my retort, but maybe a policy of reward is better than one of punishment. It would be more the Tory way - aspiration.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    5 quid a day for food.

I made a steak and kidney pie with boiled spuds for me and the missus last weekend.
    £7 for all the ingredients and it lasted 2 days
    allowance for food, they don't need to spend it on food, basically a £5 a day bonus for working.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    5 quid a day for food.

I made a steak and kidney pie with boiled spuds for me and the missus last weekend.
    £7 for all the ingredients and it lasted 2 days

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If/when I was on even a decent £30k salary I would consider spending £5 on lunch every day a ridiculous luxury - that's 10% or more of what you're going to earn in a low-paid job! Or maybe I'm just tight

I take your point that some sort of carrot can be very motivational though... for many a McD for lunch would be the highlight of their day.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    £5/day for food or food+transport? Because for food that is luxury for someone on benefits!
    £5 a day for food.

We need them to realise that if they get a job then such things are within their grasp.

If it gets 30% of them into work its worth every penny.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    £5/day for food or food+transport? Because for food that is luxury for someone on benefits!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Travel money fair enough. But lunch? Surely you eat if you're in work or sitting on the sofa watching jeremy kyle?

And no you dont have to buy food when your in work. Take sandwiches.
    it was a concession to make it slightly more bearable.£5 a day is hardly unreasonable for workfare attendees.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X