• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IPSE renewal

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IPSE renewal"

Collapse

• tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    FTFY

Seriously though. I actually found the forum quite interesting reading which surprised me everyone else.
    FTFY2

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    Did you say that voting starts tomorrow? oh you did! ok then ...
    Vote early, vote often!

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    My ipse forum name is fionat - you should be able to track me down on the list from that. But I would urge you to have a quick read of the election subforum - it's very difficult to get your views and ideas across in <= 300 words.
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    FTFY

I anyone hasn't got time to read the subforum, and wants my advice on the candidates I'm voting for any why, ping me a PM.
    Did you say that voting starts tomorrow? oh you did! ok then ...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    My ipse forum name is fionat mattse - you should be able to track me down on the list from that. But I would urge you to have a quick read of the election subforum - it's very difficult to get your views and ideas across in <= 300 words.
    FTFY

I anyone hasn't got time to read the subforum, and wants my advice on the candidates I'm voting for any why, ping me a PM.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    My ipse forum name is fionat - you should be able to track me down on the list, I'm the hot one. But I would urge you to have a quick read of the election subforum - it's very difficult to get your views and ideas across but you can look at my picture.
    FTFY

Seriously though. I actually found the forum quite interesting reading which surprised me.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 April 2015, 19:08.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    Is there a way of finding out the candidate's CUK names?

I don't go on the IPSE forums very often and so I'd just be making a judgement based on what they write on here.
    My ipse forum name is fionat - you should be able to track me down on the list from that. But I would urge you to have a quick read of the election subforum - it's very difficult to get your views and ideas across in <= 300 words.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Is there a way of finding out the candidate's CUK names?

I don't go on the IPSE forums very often and so I'd just be making a judgement based on what they write on here.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

If they find any issues with the last 6 years, they can extend it to 20, I believe.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It's driven by your annual SAR so you need to cover yourself until the end of the tax year after you close the company. IPSE membership is a year long, so basically it will be no more than one extra year's membership.

If there are any thoughts of fraud or mis-reporting, HMRC wont let you close the company of course...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Once your company is closed, HMRC would have to have very good reason to start an investigation. A year after you've finished should cover it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So it's not £250 a year while you're a contractor. It's £250 a year until you are unequivocally outside HMRC's reaches... i.e. indefinitely.
    Statute of limitations is 6 years, IIRC.

And if you weren't contracting, you wouldn't need to have IPSE+ membership.

If I was stopping, I'd keep it for another year afterwards and then not bother.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Why wouldn't you? Well over a grand's worth of effective and practical cover and benefits for around £250, I see it as a no brainer. YMMV of course.
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    If you don't renew they won't cover you for investigations into your previous contracts even though you thought you'd paid at the time to have them covered.

So it's not £250 a year while you're a contractor. It's £250 a year until you are unequivocally outside HMRC's reaches... i.e. indefinitely.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Looking at the actual amounts covered it's not worth the hassle, really useful things such as free IR35 reviews don't seem to be included
    Actually they are set at what most sensible people would consider to be the maximum acceptable risk level. They are also rather more than anyone else is offering. So that argument doesn't really stand up, does it?

Also IPSE have always said you have enough support and information as a member to make a sensible assessment of your exposure to IR35. Many, me included, also consider IR35 to be an irritant anyway and worry more about payment terms and the like than reviews (worth noting the IPSE reviews cover a lot more than IR35, incidentally). Free reviews have never featured as a requested service and, if you think about it fully, would be very difficult for IPSE to deliver, what with the legal ramifications of offering contract advice and no doubt other members complaining their membership fees were going to pay for reviews for other people; lots of IPSE members genuinely don't go anywhere near IR35 territory.

But that's just my view. You no doubt have your own. Let's call it a draw.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yep but policies like throwing HMRC a couple of NCOTBAC morsels so they'll leave the rest of us that try alone isn't going to be very popular is it #sacrificallambgate
    I don't know - try it and see next year

There'll be a few vacancies then.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you are going to stand as a candidate, you generally have an opinion about something, and it's not unreasonable to answer questions about that.

If more "norms" asked election questions, though, then maybe others wouldn't feel obliged to grill the candidates as much

So far, I've enjoyed the questions being asked and answered. If people aren't going to get engaged during the election time, though, then I do wonder what they will be like if elected, and I do wonder why they bother to stand if they aren't going to actually say anything other than their (up to) 300 word statement.

I would urge everyone who is a member to vote in the election (opens 10am tomorrow), but I would also encourage voters to look beyond the candidate statements and consider member engagement.
    Yep but policies like throwing HMRC a couple of NCOTBAC morsels so they'll leave the rest of us that try alone isn't going to be very popular is it #sacrificallambgate

Leave a comment:

Working...
X