• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Foodbank stats and stories"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Judging by the information in the OP, the morons in the JCP are malicious toadies.

Box tickers par excellence.
    indeed I''m all for sacking a few pour encourager les Autres.

you know it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    No of course I fecking wouldn't.

But have you forgotten the much touted Conservative "Victorian Values" of years gone by?

The workhouse & prison thing is exactly that.

Much of the stuff introduced by the obnoxious slaphead IDS is disgusting.
    they have got thousands of people back to work. There is a fine line between coercion and abuse.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    If there were no minimum wage they'd find one easy.
    No they wouldn't. These are people who hate the fact they're on the dole, and wouldn't take the money if they didn't need it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Are there no prisons?

Are there no workhouses?

<ZG in "tough love" mode>
    Why would you put someone whose benefit has been stopped because they had a Heart attack instead of going to meet a graduate trainee who tells people there are plenty of jobs out there for 57 year old factory workers despite you being out of work for 2 years ,in prison or a workhouse?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Fact check.

https://fullfact.org/factcheck/econo...k_number-40853

Basically the headlines are based on a press release designed to make a political point. Vote Labour!
    Why are there more food banks?

Examples of food bank users abound; the main reported causes of food bank use are ‘crises’ in a range of areas, coupled with low household income and rising costs. Labour says that this increase is due to government welfare policy, a report from the Scottish Parliament said benefit sanctions were a cause, and other critics of the policy blame the spare room subsidy (also known as the ‘bedroom tax’).

The government has previously rejected the link between benefit reforms and food bank use.

But the increase in use and number of food banks is associated with spending cuts, benefit sanctions and unemployment, based on recent analysis in the British Medical Journal, which accounts for changes in the number of food bank numbers and for how long each food bank has been open.

The report commissioned by DEFRA concluded that:

“Those looking to monitor and respond to household food insecurity in the UK… should focus on the root causes of this insecurity, rather than on numbers claiming food aid, which are unreliable indicators of problems.”

you know me as fairly right wing but I believe we are supposed to support those more needy and try to treat them fairly. Its obvious Foodbanks are doing good and the Government are doing bad in this case.

Labour can try to use them all they like, they started their expansion under Labour.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Nah a month:-) would be a lot less but I reduced the term down to 5 yrs, get the bloody thing paid off and then I won't be killing myself contracting hundreds of miles from home!
    good luck with that!

Mine's a little longer than that but us poor permies.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    a week????

flipping heck.

I reckon about a grand a month for my house is pretty good, its not as big a SAS's castle or DP's exe's house but it does.
    Nah a month:-) would be a lot less but I reduced the term down to 5 yrs, get the bloody thing paid off and then I won't be killing myself contracting hundreds of miles from home!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yep employees need to pay a living wage so us taxpayers don't subsidise them.

Though I don't think many CEOs and shareholders i.e. pension funds will be happy...
    Subsidising employees is effectively subsidising said CEOs, shareholders etc. It's been pointed out that in the US the owners of Walmarts are one of the biggests recipients of government benefits. Bloody cheats.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    If I earn minimum wage and I eat a burger cooked by people that earn minimum wage all you will do by increasing their hourly rates to the living wage is making that burger more expensive and cut the profit of the farmer.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I don't really want to get into the subject much but during the referendum the SNP were quoting foodbank food output whilst funding foodbanks from government money.

I think people get a bit pissed off about the politicisation of the needy by the left.

Still, people should not be going hungry.
    Yep employees need to pay a living wage so us taxpayers don't subsidise them.

Though I don't think many CEOs and shareholders i.e. pension funds will be happy...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I don't really want to get into the subject much but during the referendum the SNP were quoting foodbank food output whilst funding foodbanks from government money.

I think people get a bit pissed off about the politicisation of the needy by the left.

Still, people should not be going hungry.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I'm surprised nobody has recommended gunboats yet.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    If there were no minimum wage they'd find one easy.
    not sure you can support that assertion

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
    It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
    Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
    It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Fact check.

https://fullfact.org/factcheck/econo...k_number-40853

Basically the headlines are based on a press release designed to make a political point. Vote Labour!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    There is a strong argument for having only the children you can afford, in this day and age. On the other hand, you might be able to afford 5 kids then lose your job.
    Not a statistically representative scenario though.
    It would be more accurate if you said "On the other hand, you might be able to afford 5 kids for now, while wilfully ignoring your employability in the wider marketplace, and then lose your job".

A job for life is a completely insane attitude to take in the 21st century.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X