• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Only of interest to Old Gits"

Collapse

• SunnyInHades
    replied
    FORTRAN is still used by some ...

Intel® Fortran Compilers
    A complete Fortran development environment for Windows*
    Works with Microsoft* Visual Studio* 2010, 2012 and 2013
    32-bit and 64-bit development included
    COM (Component Object Model) and .NET interoperability provided
    Build mixed-language applications with C++, Visual Basic*, Microsoft C# and more! (requires Microsoft Visual Studio)
    Full language Fortran 95, full Fortran 2003, plus significant Fortran 2008 features

Leave a comment:

• DannyF1966
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Yesterday some woman was wittering on about machine code and LEO (Lyons Electronic Office, the first commercial computer).
    My geeky claim to fame is that my grandmother's cousin was on the team of people who designed the LEO computer system.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I haven't done COBOL since 1990, but I'd guess it's probably using some kind of built in date functions.

In ABAP

DATA helper_date TYPE d.
    helper_date = i_year_to_check && |0301|.
    SUBTRACT 1 FROM helper_date
    IF get_day( helper_date ) EQ '29'.
    r_is_leapyear = abap_true.
    ELSE.
    r_is_leapyear = abap_false.
    ENDIF.
    Neat, but no. You have a subtract instead of a divide, but that's still too many instructions in the target languages.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I haven't done COBOL since 1990, but I'd guess it's probably using some kind of built in date functions.

In ABAP

DATA helper_date TYPE d.
    helper_date = i_year_to_check && |0301|.
    SUBTRACT 1 FROM helper_date
    IF get_day( helper_date ) EQ '29'.
    r_is_leapyear = abap_true.
    ELSE.
    r_is_leapyear = abap_false.
    ENDIF.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Not at all, this is also of interest to me.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Does that include Pope Gregory's 100 yearly exception, and the 400 yearly exception to the exception?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Why would you write a subroutine to check for a leap year without using a divide command and without using a number 4?
    To save several hundred low-level commands a da chunk of storage.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Quick test for those who can remember COBOL or FORTRAN - how would you write a subroutine to check for a leap year. Without using a divide command. And without using a number 4...
    Does that include Pope Gregory's 100 yearly exception, and the 400 yearly exception to the exception?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Happy days with memory constrained programming optimisation, where using low-level subroutines to save 10 instructions was important...

Quick test for those who can remember COBOL or FORTRAN - how would you write a subroutine to check for a leap year. Without using a divide command. And without using a number 4...
    Why would you write a subroutine to check for a leap year without using a divide command and without using a number 4?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Happy days with memory constrained programming optimisation, where using low-level subroutines to save 10 instructions was important...

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    started a topic Only of interest to Old Gits

Only of interest to Old Gits

At 13:45 on R4 there's a programme all about FORTRAN.

I knew you'd all be interested.

I'm writing a letter of complaint engraved on a stone tablet cos they've called it "Fortran" in the Radio Times.

Seems to be part of some "digital" season thingie they've got going on at the moment.

Yesterday some woman was wittering on about machine code and LEO (Lyons Electronic Office, the first commercial computer).

It was called "Ways of Thinking".

Implied that we geeks are almost creative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pl2rx
    Last edited by zeitghost; 6 April 2015, 12:34.

Working...
X