• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Day rate

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Day rate"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    There is a separate hourly price for it
    how much do they pay you to provide the service?

I think I'll stick with my current provider though!

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    don't you get Blowjob Thursdays as well?

There is a separate hourly price for it

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    Unless the client offers blowjob Tuesday's then walk.
    don't you get Blowjob Thursdays as well?

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    Unless the client offers blowjob Tuesday's then walk.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by flamel View Post
    What's your minimum day rate? I've just been offered some work at £550 pd but it's far less than my usual rate - is it worth it?
    I've only been on the bench for two days so thinking I should hold out for more?
    Yes. You should hold out until you get an offer of at least 110% of your "usual" rate ( how else are you going to progress in the world? )

Or until you have to sell a kidney to pay your mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• DannyF1966
    replied
    What's your minimum day rate? I've just been offered some work at £550 pd but it's far less than my usual rate - is it worth it?
    I've only been on the bench for two days so thinking I should hold out for more?
    I think you should turn it down and leave the opportunity open for another contractor who is maybe building up his reputation and career would be very grateful for a role that pays what you think is peanuts.

I've just been offered a role at a day rate I could have barely dreamed of when I was a permie, less than two years ago. A lot of people here, judging by some of the threads I've read, wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole. Fair enough, leave it alone, it just means there's less competition for me for when I do apply for it.

Disclaimer: I live oop north, where houses are tuppence ha'penny and there aren't any congestion charges.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Take it based on the solid reasoning you have provided.

Leave a comment:

• SunnyInHades
    replied
    550/day would be a very high for most (average daily rate 1 April 2015=450/day, Consultant IT Contracts, Contractor Rates for a Consultant) but low for a very select group of City types...

Quant Risk Analyst - London
    Location London, UK
    Rate £900/Day

contract Fixed Income Project Manager
    Location City of London, UK
    Rate £750 - £850 per Day

C++ derivatives?, years of experience
    800-1000 day

1 April 2015 Averages
    C#: £375
    .NET: £375
    C++: £475
    Java: £450
    Banking: £475
    Last edited by SunnyInHades; 2 April 2015, 15:09.

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Mathematically speaking;

I've known people on a Day rate D. They get offered a new contract at Mo*D. They hold out because they think they are at least worth Mw*D.

Mo = Multiplier offered
    Mw = Multiplier what they think they're worth

Mw > Mo > 0

Put quite simply, you begin to look like a bit of a dick, N months later and on the bench, because

N*20*(Mo*D) >> 0*(Mw*D)
    Last edited by rl4engc; 2 April 2015, 14:15. Reason: Added parenthesis for clarity :|

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    meh...

Look at me and my rate isn't interesting to anyone....

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    What's your minimum day rate? I've just been offered some work at £5.50 ph and it's far more than my usual rate - is it worth it?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    £550 a day? INKSPE.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    A thousand pounds an hour or die trying

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied