• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Welcome to the corporate culture"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    ( it was an Amercian company and they let the bobs design the updation system )

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    Are you american?
    I thought the tower of babel comment would have been enough for people to deduce the bobs were in charge of releases.

I don't and never have used the word updation with sincerity.
    Last edited by minestrone; 20 March 2015, 11:20.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Last bank gig I was at I was in charge of updations for 3 applications.

Each updation would take 2 days. Really all it took was overwriting a file and running an update on the DB.

Most of the work would involve writing the standard nonsensical update document which described each code change, hunting down people that should be involved in the updation, getting them committed to it ( usually by escalation to some manager ) then getting them there on time & online to do their minor part in the whole thing.

It was like building the tower of Babel 3 times every 2 weeks.
    Are you american?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Bobs were in charge of all releases.
    don't they introduced 3 major issues in production last week.

apparently I need to split 200GB of data up into 50MB chunks because they only use sharepoint.

though apart from the accents which are very thick so that you can't understand a word, the yanks make just as bad a job of it.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    They generally are about as in charge of the releases like a tramp is in charge of their bowels.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    audit interface - nightmare, 20-somethings, not a shave between them
    programme interface - old etonian buddies, not a sign-off between them
    it interface - cheap devs with zero test resource

last CR was rejected because it was in the wrong template

and we are all about agile, thank the lord I am not a permie and dont give a Shhh

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    Updation, ******* updation?!?!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Current project is involved with automating infrastructure provisioning stuff. Our first "product" will allow users to provision a Linux virtual server in about thirty minutes. This replaces a manual process which currently takes three weeks

The days of people who exist solely to pass forms around are numbered…
    Ohh yes - we have a team called Audit who love their forms

Want something done?
    You have to fill in a form
    Why?
    Audit....

But wait we started to challenge this and we created a form asking the person who asked us to fill in a form justifying why we had to fill in a form - and get this we insisted that the answer could not be 'Audit Purposes'

Well what do you know a year down the line and the audit team are back to a manageable size and actually do useful things rather than blindly putting in long winded processes.

So it can be done.......

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Current project is involved with automating infrastructure provisioning stuff. Our first "product" will allow users to provision a Linux virtual server in about thirty minutes. This replaces a manual process which currently takes three weeks

The days of people who exist solely to pass forms around are numbered…

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied

Each updation would take 2 days. Really all it took was overwriting a file and running an update on the DB.

Most of the work would involve writing the standard nonsensical update document which described each code change, hunting down people that should be involved in the updation, getting them committed to it ( usually by escalation to some manager ) then getting them there on time & online to do their minor part in the whole thing.

Updation, ******* updation?!?!

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Involved in this kind of bureaucracy at the moment, change at glacial pace and subject to review. Another day, another dollar.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied

Been there. Got the (mental) scars!

The funny thing is after a few years you start to think "I was really productive today. I got a change done."

And then you have to slap yourself and say "We only copied a file from Server A to Server B".

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    The team I work for at a bank is currently on the verge of losing their production access which they have used for deployments for the last few years.

They were pretty agile in terms of getting new stuff released, but only because for whatever reason they had the access to do so. It's about to become more difficult - rightly so of course, but if it was a happy medium fine, but it probably mean a total pain in the backside.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    It used to be annoying, then they moved all of these 'ticket fulfillers' offshore and that was that for me.

Hunting down someone with a 50 character name in Bangalore for 2 weeks to get a login for a dev database.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X