• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "General election quandary"

Collapse

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yep, UKIP want a points based immigration system similar to Australia,NZ, Canada etc. Since we cannot legally do this in the UK due to the EU running our country, first we have to leave the EU and then we can control our borders as we in the UK see fit. Simples. Of course the EU ninnies and the hand wring lefties will scream racism at every opportunity.
    Well, perception is key and it does seem to be working; however, it's another matter entirely whether it influences people's decision to vote for them that much. I suspect there is a strong overlap between those who are inclined to vote for more leftist, soi-disant egalitarian parties like Labour or the Lib Dems and those who consider them "racist", because I've come to realise the term doesn't really mean an awful lot these days, so big a tent has it become. So really, people who never intended to vote for them anyway. Personally, I don't think Farage or most of the senior UKIP members are "racist" (certainly not in any real sense), but they are riding on the back of a very thorny topic, the sort that some "liberals" love to play on as "racist" merely by virtue of discussing the topic of immigration. I am quite happy to see their orthodoxy threatened and shattered, and I hope it forces more debate on the use of this rather vile slur that is so often used to shut discussion down. The intellectually bankrupt BBC and Channel 4 - brain parasites, if there ever were any - have tried over and over to get the allegation to stick and it is beginning to look tired and pathetic. All the psychological tricks in the world won't suffice for them to control the populace like they used to, before the age of the internet.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 14 March 2015, 00:27.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yep, UKIP want a points based immigration system similar to Australia,NZ, Canada etc. Since we cannot legally do this in the UK due to the EU running our country, first we have to leave the EU and then we can control our borders as we in the UK see fit. Simples. Of course the EU ninnies and the hand wring lefties will scream racism at every opportunity.
    Nazi :nazi:

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Because advocating an immigration policy copied from the Australia makes them Nazis?

mmmmk

Green or UKIP are the only honest choices. Labourservatives? Same old faces, same old shambles.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Why bother voting at all - since no matter whom you vote for - the Government always gets in ...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Except about "lefties". And "do-gooders". And the "nanny state".
    Fair point

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    We will just keep buying gas of Putin shall we?
    If it keeps him from bombing us yes.

Also as I live in an area where there are no shale gas reserves under me I shouldn't give a tulip if those on benefits in Blackpool suffer a few earthquakes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    the thing I like about being a Tory is I dont have a chip on my shoulder
    Except about "lefties". And "do-gooders". And the "nanny state".

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And one of the greenie/leftie/liberal lobby groups I and others have given money to have actually alerted other MPs including Tories to vote against it (which my Tory MP did) and make it more difficult. It's now up to councils in each individual area to allow it.

Lobby groups aren't just big business and the unions, though they have more money so are better at spreading their version of the truth. However this sometimes backfires.

Yes the system is corrupt but Labour and the Tories use focus groups and think tanks to sound out a lot of their policies out. So if you have a chance to make your voice heard do so.
    We will just keep buying gas of Putin shall we?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    By Lobby groups I mean big industry or Unions in the case of Labour. Take for example Fracking, what appears to be gov formulated policy has actually been heavily lobbied for and then dressed up in the usual way as jobs, consumer benefit and growth. They even employ PR comms companies to spin it to the media as something good. A well known one is owned by a Tory Peer who was prior to that a PPC their tag line is "Making sure the debate has a successful conclusion". What hope is there when it is so corrupt?
    And one of the greenie/leftie/liberal lobby groups I and others have given money to have actually alerted other MPs including Tories to vote against it (which my Tory MP did) and make it more difficult. It's now up to councils in each individual area to allow it.

Lobby groups aren't just big business and the unions, though they have more money so are better at spreading their version of the truth. However this sometimes backfires.

Yes the system is corrupt but Labour and the Tories use focus groups and think tanks to sound out a lot of their policies out. So if you have a chance to make your voice heard do so.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nothing stopping you joining and supporting a lobby group. Sometimes the government listens and sometimes they don't though generally if the lobby group gets some of the media on side then MPs do.
    By Lobby groups I mean big industry or Unions in the case of Labour. Take for example Fracking, what appears to be gov formulated policy has actually been heavily lobbied for and then dressed up in the usual way as jobs, consumer benefit and growth. They even employ PR comms companies to spin it to the media as something good. A well known one is owned by a Tory Peer who was prior to that a PPC their tag line is "Making sure the debate has a successful conclusion". What hope is there when it is so corrupt?
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 11 March 2015, 00:17.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I am also a caring Tory because I once bought a contractor a drink and I wasn't even his agent
    AND he never gave me any references
    You expensed it though, eh ?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    No, I don't think Labour are any different. I used you and the tories as an example because at least you have the decency to admit that you're a tory. I doubt anyone would admit to voting Labour
    I am also a caring Tory because I once bought a contractor a drink and I wasn't even his agent
    AND he never gave me any references

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    And you think labour are any different? the thing I like about being a Tory is I dont have a chip on my shoulder and I do not pretend that I am some caring liberal.
    No, I don't think Labour are any different. I used you and the tories as an example because at least you have the decency to admit that you're a tory. I doubt anyone would admit to voting Labour

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Most people at the grass roots level of a political party believe in what they are doing. Take the torys as an example. Retarded people like DA and Whinestrone think they are 'tories' because they've done relatively well financially (i.e better than your average worker) but the truth is the upper echelons of the party wouldn't piss in their mouths if their teeth caught fire.
    And you think labour are any different? the thing I like about being a Tory is I dont have a chip on my shoulder and I do not pretend that I am some caring liberal.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That's rather a change from the 1970's ands 80's when allegedly many of the higher ups in the party were into such things....
    I'm not saying the wouldn't still do it if the appropriate drugs, cash and champers were on offer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X