• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Trip to Cape Town

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trip to Cape Town"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    And Boulders Beach for the pikkewyn!
    No, dey stink

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Nice climate
    Use your noggin and there is no crime (I.e.) don't go down an alley, just because some dodgy bloke tells you its a short cut to the hotel

same time zone , so no jet lag.

excellent exchange rate, the rand is very cheap atm.

If you do get adventurous, hire a car and drive a few miles out of town. Admire the biggest land fill tip in the entire world. Then look again. It's actually a township, people are living there.
    Have a closer look and you will never complain about anything, ever again.

ever

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm only going to be flying Monday and flying out Thursday evening so limited time. Staying in Waterfront area near exhibition centre. Will try to get up table mountain, not sure what else I'll have time for.
    Aren't you actually be going to do some work there as well?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Not sure my experience, circa 1972, would be very helpful.

PS But PM me if you are using a time machine.
    I miss threaded

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not sure my experience, circa 1972, would be very helpful.

PS But PM me if you are using a time machine.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 9 March 2015, 22:23.

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Thanks guys. I'm only going to be flying Monday and flying out Thursday evening so limited time. Staying in Waterfront area near exhibition centre. Will try to get up table mountain, not sure what else I'll have time for.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    If they haven't migrated back to Antarctica by then, for sure 🐳

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Musts - Franschhoek town & Babylonstoren Restaurant just outside / La Perla in Sea Point / The Ocean Basket fish franchise restaurants / Kirstenbosch Gardens / Table Mountain Cableway / Lion's Head walk to the top (1 hour) / Paragliding from Signal Hill / Robben Island / Cape Point Nature Reserve.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Make sure they are sending you Business class. It's a ******* bitch of a journey if it isn't.

Most of the crime is against people not being vigilant. There are signs up advising you not to use phones at traffic lights etc. There will be gangs of lads standing at busy junctions just looking for people that aren't watching what's going on around you. It's a little scarey at first knowing they are there for nothing but to car jack/rob you. Be alert and make sure you know whats going on around you and you'll be ok. Not sure it's the same in the built up areas but when you start getting out of the city it's noticeable. Look confident when you are walking and all those pieces of advice. I was told when I was there most people that were a victim of petty crime made themselves a target.
    Similar to 'My friend told me' etc?

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Been a few times, love it. We usually stay either on the beach (lastword on Noordhoek beach) or drive up to Stellenbosch (try the Speir winery resort as an example).

Last time was my birthday and we managed to blag a 3 bedroom suite in the Cape Grace, overlooking both the harbour and table mountain. Lovely.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I have just spent 4 weeks there. In May, the weather will be changeable and pretty cool at night - rain will be a distinct probability, and daytime temperatures around 20C.

Personally, I have never travelled there Business Class (I have been at least 25 times in the past 15 years), since I would rather have the extra spending money. If a client was paying, then I would insist on it, however. I would not travel via Dubai or Qatar, since the overall travel time is ridiculous. Direct flights (Virgin or BA) take 11.50 hours and SAA via Jo'burg 14-15.

Crime - be sensible and you won't (shouldn't) experience any. Don't walk around shouty and drunk / don't flash the Rolex/AP/Breguet. Hire a car and use Uber for taxis.

Restaurants are dirt cheap and the steaks / grilled fish/calamari exceptional.

Musts - Franschhoek town & Babylonstoren Restaurant just outside / La Perla in Sea Point / The Ocean Basket fish franchise restaurants / Kirstenbosch Gardens / Table Mountain Cableway / Lion's Head walk to the top (1 hour) / Paragliding from Signal Hill / Robben Island / Cape Point Nature Reserve.

Don't - Argue with minibus taxis / neglect to tip 10-15% / pay the car guard R10-R20.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Make sure they are sending you Business class. It's a ******* bitch of a journey if it isn't.
    12 hours. If not Business Class, make sure you're very tired, have a pillow and guzzle as much booze as possible so you'll sleep. Then it's not so bad.

I often can't / don't sleep on long haul, this time I did, it was fine.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Scruff's last post was 6 months before you 'joined' the forum. Funny that
    Eh? Scruff has several recent posts

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Make sure they are sending you Business class. It's a ******* bitch of a journey if it isn't
    Yeah - we didn't go in the end but we were toying with Africa at one point and, to be honest, I had no concept of just how far away it was until we looked at flight durations!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Most of the crime is against people not being vigilant. There are signs up advising you not to use phones at traffic lights etc. There will be gangs of lads standing at busy junctions just looking for people that aren't watching what's going on around you. It's a little scarey at first knowing they are there for nothing but to car jack/rob you. Be alert and make sure you know whats going on around you and you'll be ok. Not sure it's the same in the built up areas but when you start getting out of the city it's noticeable. Look confident when you are walking and all those pieces of advice. I was told when I was there most people that were a victim of petty crime made themselves a target.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 March 2015, 18:25.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X