• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Muslim kids ‘Pork or nothing’"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Indeed. Of the 9 in my current team 6 are Hindi. All of them are wonderful - tolerant, easy to get on with, very hard working. And extremely intelligent and professional.

Then again, I can say that about all the Muslims I have worked with as well. Maybe Muslims need a better PR person?
    Actually all the openly sexist men I've worked with have been Hindu. On the other hand the Pakistani Muslims have been lovely.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    According to the reports in the Times concerning the abusing gangs, the majority of Muslims come originally from just two areas in Pakistan.
    Muslims in the UK come from East Africa, West Africa and other countries in Asia not just Pakistan. Then again I went to school, college and university with some of them. (The few converts came from any background.)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    There is something in this. It is the British (and Hindu) culture of tolerance I suppose.
    Indeed. Of the 9 in my current team 6 are Hindi. All of them are wonderful - tolerant, easy to get on with, very hard working. And extremely intelligent and professional.

Then again, I can say that about all the Muslims I have worked with as well. Maybe Muslims need a better PR person?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    According to the reports in the Times concerning the abusing gangs, the majority of Muslims come originally from just two areas in Pakistan.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Have you ever noticed that Hindis have no issue assimilating into the UK. But with Muslims there is always something wrong.
    Hindus in Britain tend to originate from one place in the world* while Muslims come from many different places with many different cultures.

*Yes I'm aware that some come indirectly.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Sorry - I have been married too long. I was adopting the woman's trick of just posting random stuff - its very annoying isn't it?

Its the double standards that get me. The UK seems happy to let any immigrant come to the UK and tell the UK how to behave. But in other countries, people from the UK are expected to adhere to local laws and standards.

When in Rome do as the Romans do should be the standard.

Have you ever noticed that Hindis have no issue assimilating into the UK. But with Muslims there is always something wrong.
    There is something in this. It is the British (and Hindu) culture of tolerance I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can't see how that question has any relevance to what I or SO said. Care to explain?

Or are you suggesting we should take petty revenge on all Muslims here for what Islamic countries do? We need to come out of the dream world about Islam, tackle Islamism and stop any more migration to the west until it moderates. However, it is counterproductive to hit out at ordinary Muslims for what are relatively harmless beliefs. That sort of thing just increases extremism.
    Sorry - I have been married too long. I was adopting the woman's trick of just posting random stuff - its very annoying isn't it?

Its the double standards that get me. The UK seems happy to let any immigrant come to the UK and tell the UK how to behave. But in other countries, people from the UK are expected to adhere to local laws and standards.

When in Rome do as the Romans do should be the standard.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    So how would you describe SAudi in their treatment of Christians?
    Can't see how that question has any relevance to what I or SO said. Care to explain?

Or are you suggesting we should take petty revenge on all Muslims here for what Islamic countries do? We need to come out of the dream world about Islam, tackle Islamism and stop any more migration to the west until it moderates. However, it is counterproductive to hit out at ordinary Muslims for what are relatively harmless beliefs. That sort of thing just increases extremism.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 13 December 2014, 19:26.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Saudi isn't secular.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    As France is a Christian country I don't see why they should...
    France is an extremely secular country.

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    It's not tradition or law though, is it. 'Pork or nothing' is just spitefulness.
    Isn't that just the headline?

But the nothing in this case is "no meat". One meal is provided to school kids; no choice. Your kid either eats what the school provides or you make alternative arrangements. Children of vegetarians (or those who are vegetarian) aren't being offered alternatives. Presumably if they serve pork on Friday all the Catholic kids will go hungry?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It's not tradition or law though, is it. 'Pork or nothing' is just spitefulness.
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Quite. Secularism is the principle of separation of religion and state, it does not mean banning all personal choice based on religion, provided it is harmless and not imposed on others. Not as if there is some huge extra costs involved here either.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Quite. Secularism is the principle of separation of religion and state, it does not mean banning all personal choice based on religion, provided it is harmless and not imposed on others. Not as if there is some huge extra costs involved here either.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    How can this be considered prejudiced? I have strong objections to halal meat however, when I go to Muslim countries I can't object and insist on non-halal nor can I insist on eating pork. I have to accept the traditions and laws of the host country therefore so should Muslims.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
    If it really is 'Pork or nothing' as opposed to 'non-Halal meat or nothing', then I think it's pretty prejudiced but then that's France for you. However, some of the responses from long-established members on here and you wonder why some of the Muslims don't want to integrate with such folk.
    How can this be considered prejudiced? I have strong objections to halal meat however, when I go to Muslim countries I can't object and insist on non-halal nor can I insist on eating pork. I have to accept the traditions and laws of the host country therefore so should Muslims.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I worked with a Muslim guy who would never eat pork, beef or lamb in a resturant. He didn't drink any alcohol. But that was the extent of his adherence. He would eat chicken, oysters and fish quite happily.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X