• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Uncle Clive's Back

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Uncle Clive's Back"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can't say I've tried recently but you could even get ZX81 simulators for the PC but emulated screen was about the size of a postage stamp on a modern monitor.
    If only there was a way for computers to scale images.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    That reminds me, when I was finishing at UNI in 1997 the computer science lecturer admitted they were still using a spectrum at the start of the term to allocate rooms to classes.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I suppose you all seen this a few months ago...

BBC News - Manic modder: Inside Ben Heck's world of bonsai computing

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can't say I've tried recently but you could even get ZX81 simulators for the PC but emulated screen was about the size of a postage stamp on a modern monitor.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    You can get a Pi and run a Speccy emulator on it. Best of both worlds - or rather more, as you can also emulate any other machine from that era, as well as every arcade game and console

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I have a spectrum 2 128. I have always wanted to download a game, put it on tape and load it up.

**** knows why.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Snow Watch ™

Snow is back on the menu

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    If the ZX81/Spectrum/QL ever get to be valuable collectors' items I shall be most annoyed that I gave them away.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    But why would you want that? If you lived in poverty, then maybe. But like most people here I'm sure, I have a couple of old laptops and desktops lying around as well as the ones I actually use, plus three old Android phones I could do things with if I was determined (which I'm not). And why on earth would a cheap cigarette packet sized computer be better for "learning to code" than a laptop?
    Look at XBMC or Kodi as it is now known.

Squeezeslave (squeezebox equivalent for £30-40)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    But why would you want that? If you lived in poverty, then maybe. But like most people here I'm sure, I have a couple of old laptops and desktops lying around as well as the ones I actually use, plus three old Android phones I could do things with if I was determined (which I'm not). And why on earth would a cheap cigarette packet sized computer be better for "learning to code" than a laptop?
    Because children break things and even if you have an old laptop around it would be worth more than £30.

Plus some gadgets are just fun to have.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Um, because it's a computer the size of a cigarette packet, and only slightly more expensive than said packet of fags.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    the original Spekky was 48k and required a separate tape cassette player to load the code , but the 128 was a massive leap forward because it had it's own inbuilt tape player.
    awesomeness abounded , what a massive leap in cutting edge technology.

Lords of midnight, Elite, Warlords

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I'm tempted.

I don't understand why anyone in their right mind would want a Raspberry Pi.
    Um, because it's a computer the size of a cigarette packet, and only slightly more expensive than said packet of fags.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'm tempted.

Cheap media server. Or as a cheap security camera / motion sensor that stores the pictures securely for you. Or to learn to code as a child (or an adult). Or as a games machine. Or as a retro machine.

I'm sure there are other uses out there, but those are the ones that I've used a Pi for so far. My children like learning to code on it, and they can teach themselves which is a good way to start.

Plus if they break it somehow, it's either £30 for a new computer or reformat the SD card and start again.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm tempted.

what?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X