• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should Lewis Hamilton be allowed to use the UK flag?"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And it's sunny.
    So is my

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    They also do not have to mix with the plebs or live in a compound surrounded by security.
    And it's sunny.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Yeah, the only reason to live in Monaco is to save tax. The fact his house probably costs more than the tax he saves aside, have you ever even seen Monaco? Or have any idea why an F1 driver might want to live in a town where their daily errands mean walking along the most iconic racing track in the world?
    They also do not have to mix with the plebs or live in a compound surrounded by security.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yeah, the only reason to live in Monaco is to save tax. The fact his house probably costs more than the tax he saves aside, have you ever even seen Monaco? Or have any idea why an F1 driver might want to live in a town where their daily errands mean walking along the most iconic racing track in the world?

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    There's no earthly reason why he SHOULD pay tax in a country he doesn't live in, that's absurd. Claiming he saves money by living in Monaco, where everything costs 3X as much, is plain dumb.
    He does not pay taxes on his income which is in millions, and the things that he buys (that costs 3 times) are in tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands.

He saves a lot of money by living there, and that is his primary reason for being there. However, I don't blame him for that, and he has made a choice which is legal, so no grief for me.

If the politician thinks that it is not fair, they can bring in a legislation, but I doubt that is going to happen in near future.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    I don't think he was bothered that much by paps as he was out of the country most of the time working anyway. Plus, with the millions he has, he could easily buy an estate that is well secured from prying eyes.

If the high earners would just be honest and say they don't want to put money back into the country when they've made it big then people would probably agree with them, much like Rod Stewart did back in the 70s when tax was 97% at the high end.

Obviously no-one likes paying tax but when you get to that level of earning power you're not really going to miss a few extra £k. Most sportsmen request their fee net of tax so they are paid the extra on top to take care of it. Some, like Hamilton, try to make more money out of the deal by paying less tax.
    There's no earthly reason why he SHOULD pay tax in a country he doesn't live in, that's absurd. Claiming he saves money by living in Monaco, where everything costs 3X as much, is plain dumb.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Anyone who avoids taxes always goes on the xoggoth hero list.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Boris Johnson holds an American passport, he was born there, and is refusing to pay taxes owed due to this law: New York-born London mayor Boris Johnson refuses to pay US tax bill | Politics | The Guardian
    I doubt that he will be boasting so much when he caves in and pays up like a good little boy.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    I don't think he was bothered that much by paps as he was out of the country most of the time working anyway.
    No, nor do I. But the reason he gave for moving to Monaco was about privacy, and he went to great lengths to explain that it wasn't about the tax.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A total of 2,999 Americans renounced their citizenship in 2013

The United States is the only country in the world which taxes nonresident citizens in the same manner as residents
    Boris Johnson holds an American passport, he was born there, and is refusing to pay taxes owed due to this law: New York-born London mayor Boris Johnson refuses to pay US tax bill | Politics | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Works well for the United States. And I think it should apply to the UK.
    Works well? Really?

Originally posted by Wikipedia
    A total of 2,999 Americans renounced their citizenship in 2013

The United States is the only country in the world which taxes nonresident citizens in the same manner as residents

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Are you suggesting that he wasn't telling the truth when he said it wasn't about his tax status, it was just that he needed his privacy in a tax shelter?
    I don't think he was bothered that much by paps as he was out of the country most of the time working anyway. Plus, with the millions he has, he could easily buy an estate that is well secured from prying eyes.

If the high earners would just be honest and say they don't want to put money back into the country when they've made it big then people would probably agree with them, much like Rod Stewart did back in the 70s when tax was 97% at the high end.

Obviously no-one likes paying tax but when you get to that level of earning power you're not really going to miss a few extra £k. Most sportsmen request their fee net of tax so they are paid the extra on top to take care of it. Some, like Hamilton, try to make more money out of the deal by paying less tax.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    ...and if I could do the same in his position I'd be off like a shot and not look back.
    Could we have a whip round?

I am assuming there is no internet abroad so you can't be a mod from there.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Of course he should be allowed. Just more Daily Wail bulltulip!!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    ...and if I could do the same in his position I'd be off like a shot and not look back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X