• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you're under 30, bad luck. You're screwed"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Student protesters break into Parliament Square - Telegraph

Quite benign stuff. Youngsters these days don't know how to organize a proper protest.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    If you're under 30, bad luck. You're screwed

The one thing that under 30s have.

Which money cannot buy.

Which is worth more than anything else.

That silver surfers would trade it all for.

Is their youth.

One life - live it.

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 20 November 2014, 07:30.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's good that he points out that NI isn't a pension fund or insurance scheme, but with "Your NI contributions pay directly for the pensions of today’s retirees." he's perpetuating the myth that NI is somehow ring fenced, rather than just be a component of income tax and a tax on employment.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    But I have worked hard all my life, got qualified etc as did the wife and we are quite well off.

it would not have been the same had we do nowt and school and been lazy toerags moving from min wage job to min wage job

I do not think you are screwed if you are under 30 I think you just have to understand hard work is not bleeting on bleeter or posting on lifeinvader.
    You are screwed.

You cannot buy a property in London or in lots of the South East however hard you work unless you have relatives giving you money for a deposit. I know teachers and other lower paid people doing worthwhile occupations who if they were born 5 years let alone 10 years later would not have been able to buy property.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    But I have worked hard all my life, got qualified etc as did the wife and we are quite well off.

it would not have been the same had we do nowt and school and been lazy toerags moving from min wage job to min wage job

I do not think you are screwed if you are under 30 I think you just have to understand hard work is not bleeting on bleeter or posting on lifeinvader.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    wages will not rise until there are a shortage of workers and we remove Government subsidies.
    House prices will not fall unless there is a surplus.
    Taxes will not fall until we reduce waste.
    Taxes can't go down until wages go up and the government stops subsidising workers.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    There needs to be a major housebuilding program a shake up of public sector services and investment in energy. What people then earn does not really matter. People are under pressure to earn enough to stave off reliance on any public sector service. If these services worked for the consumer instead of the supplier then everything would be fine.
    wages will not rise until there are a shortage of workers and we remove Government subsidies.
    House prices will not fall unless there is a surplus.
    Taxes will not fall until we reduce waste.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    There needs to be a major housebuilding program a shake up of public sector services and investment in energy. What people then earn does not really matter. People are under pressure to earn enough to stave off reliance on any public sector service. If these services worked for the consumer instead of the supplier then everything would be fine.

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    I feel lucky, if I was 18-19 now I would have never made the same decisions I did when I was actually 18, for example I would never have gone to university the debt would of put me off, I didn't have to pay fees etc and still got a grant. London houses prices are also totally screwed up, the first place I bought / sold is now back on the market, back in the day as a permy I could pay the mortgage no probs when I was 23 30k salary, now you would need a 90k salary to cover the mortgage to get the place.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Nope sorry - I am not wrong. Uk wages are good. Any higher and we are non competitive. Fact.

Energy costs are high and this is a big outlay both for business and for employees. Then there is high rent and a monopoly property market.

Low energy costs, and housing costs and everyone would be richer (apart from the banks and multinational corps).
    Spot on about the energy costs especially!

Nuclear is the only answer.
    Shame the last Labour government put the UK back 10 years by disdaining nuclear power

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I have already proved my point, you just don't seem to be paying attention.
    You've proved your point that it's not necessary to provide data? That's unprovable, and that's what we're discussing.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You're welcome to your opinion, however wrong it is. But the onus is ALWAYS on the one presenting the argument to provide the evidence, not for everyone to have to search for it. Similarly if someone wants to refute your argument, they have to provide their own evidence to back this up.

What DO they teach in schools these days...?
    I have already proved my point, you just don't seem to be paying attention.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It has been repeatedly posted here and published in the national press and the data is also available from a number of reputable sources Then you wanting me to post the relevant facts every time you ask for it I do consider spoon feeding.
    You're welcome to your opinion, however wrong it is. But the onus is ALWAYS on the one presenting the argument to provide the evidence, not for everyone to have to search for it. Similarly if someone wants to refute your argument, they have to provide their own evidence to back this up.

What DO they teach in schools these days...?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If you're under 30, bad luck. You're screwed

It's scarey for we mortgage-free 50+ year olds to think that lots of young people might soon cotton onto this and start getting cross.

But luckily, I imagine most of them are far too preoccupied with Facebook and suchlike nonsense to notice
    They are campaigning on facebook and twitter - they seem to think it makes a difference. Much like the BN66 lot.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But you do have time to post unsubstantiated 'facts'?

Supporting your arguments with the pertinent data is "spoon feeding" now?
    It has been repeatedly posted here and published in the national press and the data is also available from a number of reputable sources Then you wanting me to post the relevant facts every time you ask for it I do consider spoon feeding.

I did however mention a policy that was imposed to solve part of the problem and which has had a well documented success. So eat up.

If you have some information that proves you cannot get more on benefits especially if working part time (which removes a lot of the caps) than for working full time on a low wage please post it, I would like to see this information as it seems to be missing in the public domain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X