• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Matrix

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Matrix"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Er... yes!

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I did say "for a given value of proper"

Blade Runner, Alien, Silent Running, Quatermass and the Pit - proper
    Star Trek, Aliens and sequels - not proper. Great fun, but not proper.

So in effect then, your definition of "proper" equates to "cult", the rest being "sci-fi for the masses" ?

I can see that
    Last edited by Dark Black; 18 October 2014, 06:58. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Hardware!
    We have a winner!

You Sir, win an all expenses paid trip to the Zone

(don't come back without some random-looking pieces of mechanoid )
    Last edited by Dark Black; 18 October 2014, 06:59.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Interesting.. define "proper" SF?

My collection includes classics such as.. Blade Runner, Alien (+ sequels), Silent Running, SpaceBalls (kidding.. really kidding ), Quatermass and the Pit, random Star Trek etc..

It's all down to personal taste really isn't it?

Bonus points if anyone identifies the movie the chap in my avatar was from
    Hardware!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I did say "for a given value of proper"

My collection includes classics such as.. Blade Runner, Alien (+ sequels), Silent Running, SpaceBalls (kidding.. really kidding ), Quatermass and the Pit, random Star Trek etc..
    Blade Runner, Alien, Silent Running, Quatermass and the Pit - proper
    Star Trek, Aliens and sequels - not proper. Great fun, but not proper.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Yeah - it shows you don't appreciate good SF. Seriously, I've often seen that when the general public don't like a sci-fi film, it's because it's proper sci-fi, not soap or cowboys or a love-story set in space. For a given value of "proper" of course.

Interesting.. define "proper" SF?

It's all down to personal taste really isn't it?

Bonus points if anyone identifies the movie the chap in my avatar was from

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    We did go down the route of kicking a rock and saying I refute it thus but then when I told her actually we cannot know she went into a tail spin...

was quite funny really!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    although I might also add that after watching the first one with my daughter she now has existential issue as to whether she really exists.
    Just tell her that she doesn't, but it's important she doesn't let anyone else know.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    although I might also add that after watching the first one with my daughter she now has existential issue as to whether she really exists.
    Good, that shows she's thinking. Give her some Plato now.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I thought the first one was really good. A good match of the action inside the matrix with the slo-mo bullet-time and wire-fighting etc, and the stuff outside in the real world which frames those bits. The second one was still ok but was starting to focus more on the real world than the matrix, and the third continued that further, and that was the problem for me, those bits just weren't as interesting as the matrix parts.
    I actually liked seeing into the "real world" a bit, right up until they jumped the shark with "The powers of The One extend beyond the Matrix" at the very end of film 2.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    agree - I have them all on bluray - sound and visuals are quality

the first is a complete classic and essential watching

the other two are okay films but are not as groundbreaking

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I thought the first one was really good. A good match of the action inside the matrix with the slo-mo bullet-time and wire-fighting etc, and the stuff outside in the real world which frames those bits. The second one was still ok but was starting to focus more on the real world than the matrix, and the third continued that further, and that was the problem for me, those bits just weren't as interesting as the matrix parts.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Back OT ...

The original Matrix film was a brilliant as the sequels were poor. It promised so much but in the end neither the second or third films got anywhere close to the original. It was a true cult classic - and always good to watch with decent surround (esp. the Morpheus rescue sequence )

Very telling that I only own the first on disk.
    Yeah - it shows you don't appreciate good SF. Seriously, I've often seen that when the general public don't like a sci-fi film, it's because it's proper sci-fi, not soap or cowboys or a love-story set in space. For a given value of "proper" of course.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X