• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Backward people who need the Darwin treatment"

Collapse

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    southern Irish female accents for me.

The mortgage arranger is from around Dublin. 2 hours on the phone - yummy.

Or Outer Parisienne.

Yep.. with you on the southern Irish female accents

Can't be doing with the Scots accents though, right turn off.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    How is Wales doing compared to the rest of the UK? Correct me if I'm wong, but I heard it was sliiping behind a bit, on health, economy and all that.

In which case, isn't the Darwin principle already being applied?

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Oh, that's nasty....
    That was a double whammy.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    southern Irish female accents for me.

The mortgage arranger is from around Dublin. 2 hours on the phone - yummy.

Or Outer Parisienne.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    No one likes their women to sound too intelligent.
    Oh, that's nasty....

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    There's something about a female welsh voice... so sexy
    No one likes their women to sound too intelligent.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    agreed we have some sites in the valleys and sometimes I just call them up with any old excuse just to listen to the accent mmmmm

also we have some English friends who moved to Wales and they are sending their kids to a secondary school which uses welsh as the first language and will actually be taught in welsh.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Can you just arrange to have Cerys Matthews taken back to Wales, and that tit from the stereophonics.
    There's something about a female welsh voice... so sexy

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    and that tit from the stereophonics.
    He died. HTH

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Cerys Matthews has the most sumptuous speaking voice, I think. It's when she breaks into song that the trouble starts.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Can you just arrange to have Cerys Matthews taken back to Wales, and that tit from the stereophonics.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    Just to stoke the fire a bit on this, I was talking to Mrs A. about this thread last night. She's a physics lecturer in a further ed. college and I asked her what happens with the kids coming from Welsh schools. Her reply was "Nothing, they all get taught in English." Apparently, especially within the sciences, the Welsh-taught kids can have some real problems as they don't know what the English is for common concepts and terms.
    But Welsh is taught as a second language in Welsh schools? Obviously American is first....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    How do you say "burning holiday homes" in Welsh?
    llosgi tai haf

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Precisely the problem some of the esteemed customers from down west have had.

But I'm sure their fluency in wchytwch will come in very handy when they have to move east to get work.

And that's the real shame of all of this.

A country that depends on handouts and government jobs to survive fails to prepare its citizens for the real world (over the bridge) and instead panders to the lobby who want to keep it locked in the past.

And don't get me started on the geniuses who came up with the Welsh Baccalaureate.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    How do you say "burning holiday homes" in Welsh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X