• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Matthew Parris

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Matthew Parris"

Collapse

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I think people are getting the Clacton result out of proportion. He was a well liked local figure and reputedly an excellent constituency MP and also is a national name - for crap reasons, natch, but there's no such thing as bad publicity. It would be interesting to compare the vote split this time with the previous GE result when he stood as a Tory: I'm guessing he personally pulled close to the same percentage.

Meanwhile, the intelligent, committed and well informed voters of Clacton have elected an MP who is proven to lie to his party colleagues, represents a party with even fewer coherent policies than Millipede's rabble, put personal ambition ahead of UK's best interests and tried to sabotage the ruling Coalition. So I'm with Parrish; people get the MPs they deserve.
    He put his seat up for a vote, he won. The voters are not stupid and the man had a torrent of abuse hurled at him by the Tory party, which no doubt exposed their tribal nature even further. The Tories can bitch and stamp their feet over it all they like, but the same will come to Labour seats soon. UKIP's policies on tax are still a mile ahead of Cameron's promises, which won't even come into effect until 2020, by which time inflation will have seen to it that their effect is negligible, meanwhile all the pundits will still be shrieking about how it is to be "paid" for. As if the government is somehow "owed" the money by the serfs, and must "pay" for any gifts or grants it bestows upon them.

I do hope twits like Matthew Parris get their opinions out there more, especially Labour twits, but either party is fine, so they can ruin their parties' chances of a clear-cut majority in the next election and thus the Tories can be forced to work with UKIP. Then perhaps we can see something that approximates a conservative party emerging out of the ashes of the current middle-of-the-road, "compassionate conservative", vote-maximiser party that the Tories have turned into.

Carswell's "colleagues" are owed bugger-all, they're all just a step above used cars salesmen, if that.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 13 October 2014, 20:45.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    The lowest performing groups in the UK are not the white British either.
    Nor are the highest.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Usual nonsensical double standards.

We encourage migrants to remain separate from broader society and cling to all their own cultural practices and beliefs, often more akin to those of 19th century Britain those of today's Britain, in the name of multiculturalism. Yet any white Brit who likes to be surrounded by a culture and engage with a history he can relate to is a little Englander whose views should be ignored.

Also he is yet another ignorant who seems to think only whites have any faults or prejudices. Maybe he should check the facts, that abuse of gays and anti-semitism for example, is not primarily by the white British. And look too at the facts on crime, welfare, social housing, educational achievement and health. The lowest performing groups in the UK are not the white British either.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 13 October 2014, 20:25.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Matthew Parris is a Twunt of the highest order. He thinks he can describe who votes for UKIP with a series of nasty little slurs. He really doesn't understand what is going on. Best stick to topics he's expert in like pillow biting.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    hostility to a Britain that has forgotten the joys of Ken Dodd, meat pies, smoking in pubs and the Bee Gees.
    Ken Dodd? He wasn't that funny.

Meat pies and smoking in pubs mentioned in the same sentence - I don't ever remember getting a decent meat pie in a pub, smoky variety or not.

Bee Gees? Best forgotten in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You missed the bastardized lyrics...

Lyrics..
    I was bamboozled by the fact you didn't even words the get order in.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    That you think everyone who votes UKIP is a topless female alcoholic?

Or that like all mainstream politicians, it's the millions of voters who who are out of touch, not themselves?

"Good to see you spotted my deliberate error...." Yes, a likely story.
    You missed the bastardized lyrics...

Lyrics..

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Good to see you spotted my deliberate error....

but did you spot anything else?
    That you think everyone who votes UKIP is a topless female alcoholic?

Or that like all mainstream politicians, it's the millions of voters who who are out of touch, not themselves?

"Good to see you spotted my deliberate error...." Yes, a likely story.
    Last edited by tractor; 13 October 2014, 08:32.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I think Matthew Parris's comments represent the attitudes of the the political parties/political establishment on both sides of the spectrum. Thatcher by encouraging people to own their own homes was the only politician to try and help these people. What is more her policy has made the UK one of the most equal societies in the western world.

Having just spent a few days in Spain it seems they have spent their improved wealth on food.
    And now successions of Bliar and Cameron have eroded that so that we have a society where the banks won't lend and the people they see as a risk and so cannot get a mortgage are forced to pay the mortgage of someone who can afford one? Go figure. I am sure that was not her intention.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    I see you wasted your educational opportunities. Do you live in Clacton?
    Good to see you spotted my deliberate error....

but did you spot anything else?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Yeeeeas and the problem with this is what?

If you do not have the sense to keep your t*ts off the telly just cos someone buys you an alcopop and points a camera at you then what hope is their?

Or are we going to just say that she had a mamma never loved who her much and a daddy who never keeps in touch and absolve them of all social responsibility?
    I see you wasted your educational opportunities. Do you live in Clacton?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    snip....

You only have to look at the number of TV shows that indulge in the schadenfreude of giving "chavs" enough rope to hang themselves in front of the whole nation.
    Yeeeeas and the problem with this is what?

If you do not have the sense to keep your t*ts off the telly just cos someone buys you an alcopop and points a camera at you then what hope is their?

Or are we going to just say that she had a mamma never loved who her much and a daddy who never keeps in touch and absolve them of all social responsibility?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I think Matthew Parris's comments represent the attitudes of the the political parties/political establishment on both sides of the spectrum. Thatcher by encouraging people to own their own homes was the only politician to try and help these people. What is more her policy has made the UK one of the most equal societies in the western world.

Having just spent a few days in Spain it seems they have spent their improved wealth on food.

Leave a comment:

• Freaki Li Cuatre
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I don't really see anything wrong with what he wrote. No arrogance, and the snobbery is probably as innoffensive as anyone in Britain gets when talking about people who aren't like them.
    How about if he wrote in a similar tone about those older members of the West Indian diaspora who sit around playing dominoes all day?

Wouldn't happen because it wouldn't be an acceptable thing to say at an Islington dinner party.

Being disparaging about white working/lower middle class people, on the other hand, is not only OK but positively encouraged by the likes of Parris.

You only have to look at the number of TV shows that indulge in the schadenfreude of giving "chavs" enough rope to hang themselves in front of the whole nation.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I don't really see anything wrong with what he wrote. No arrogance, and the snobbery is probably as innoffensive as anyone in Britain gets when talking about people who aren't like them.
    well we can't all go to Cambridge can we?

They are Thatchers and B'Liar's children, they are to some extent what they made them
    What great schools are there in Clacton?
    What exciting local industry to pull them out of the rut?

Thought not!

plenty of studies show if you get the boy (or Girl) out of poverty and despair you can get them out of of the Boy.

He is a privileged (By Clacton's standards) idiot, if he is prepared to write off an area because they lack get up and go or belief in that one day they will have a better life then he might as well write off 90% of the electorate having watched their wages fall.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X