• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Matthew Parris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I don't really see anything wrong with what he wrote. No arrogance, and the snobbery is probably as innoffensive as anyone in Britain gets when talking about people who aren't like them.
    How about if he wrote in a similar tone about those older members of the West Indian diaspora who sit around playing dominoes all day?

Wouldn't happen because it wouldn't be an acceptable thing to say at an Islington dinner party.

Being disparaging about white working/lower middle class people, on the other hand, is not only OK but positively encouraged by the likes of Parris.

You only have to look at the number of TV shows that indulge in the schadenfreude of giving "chavs" enough rope to hang themselves in front of the whole nation.

Comment

I think Matthew Parris's comments represent the attitudes of the the political parties/political establishment on both sides of the spectrum. Thatcher by encouraging people to own their own homes was the only politician to try and help these people. What is more her policy has made the UK one of the most equal societies in the western world.

Having just spent a few days in Spain it seems they have spent their improved wealth on food.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
        snip....

You only have to look at the number of TV shows that indulge in the schadenfreude of giving "chavs" enough rope to hang themselves in front of the whole nation.
        Yeeeeas and the problem with this is what?

If you do not have the sense to keep your t*ts off the telly just cos someone buys you an alcopop and points a camera at you then what hope is their?

Or are we going to just say that she had a mamma never loved who her much and a daddy who never keeps in touch and absolve them of all social responsibility?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Yeeeeas and the problem with this is what?

If you do not have the sense to keep your t*ts off the telly just cos someone buys you an alcopop and points a camera at you then what hope is their?

Or are we going to just say that she had a mamma never loved who her much and a daddy who never keeps in touch and absolve them of all social responsibility?
          I see you wasted your educational opportunities. Do you live in Clacton?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            I see you wasted your educational opportunities. Do you live in Clacton?
            Good to see you spotted my deliberate error....

but did you spot anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I think Matthew Parris's comments represent the attitudes of the the political parties/political establishment on both sides of the spectrum. Thatcher by encouraging people to own their own homes was the only politician to try and help these people. What is more her policy has made the UK one of the most equal societies in the western world.

Having just spent a few days in Spain it seems they have spent their improved wealth on food.
              And now successions of Bliar and Cameron have eroded that so that we have a society where the banks won't lend and the people they see as a risk and so cannot get a mortgage are forced to pay the mortgage of someone who can afford one? Go figure. I am sure that was not her intention.

Comment

Good to see you spotted my deliberate error....

but did you spot anything else?
                That you think everyone who votes UKIP is a topless female alcoholic?

Or that like all mainstream politicians, it's the millions of voters who who are out of touch, not themselves?

"Good to see you spotted my deliberate error...." Yes, a likely story.
                Last edited by tractor; 13 October 2014, 08:32.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                  That you think everyone who votes UKIP is a topless female alcoholic?

Or that like all mainstream politicians, it's the millions of voters who who are out of touch, not themselves?

"Good to see you spotted my deliberate error...." Yes, a likely story.
                  You missed the bastardized lyrics...

Lyrics..

Comment

You missed the bastardized lyrics...

Lyrics..
                    I was bamboozled by the fact you didn't even words the get order in.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
                      hostility to a Britain that has forgotten the joys of Ken Dodd, meat pies, smoking in pubs and the Bee Gees.
                      Ken Dodd? He wasn't that funny.

Meat pies and smoking in pubs mentioned in the same sentence - I don't ever remember getting a decent meat pie in a pub, smoky variety or not.

Bee Gees? Best forgotten in my opinion.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X