• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Footage of the F1 crash"

Collapse

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Very sad news indeed.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    RIP Jules Bianchi.

BBC Sport - Jules Bianchi: F1 driver dies from Suzuka crash injuries

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    This medical update isn't very good,
    BBC Sport - Jules Bianchi: Driver is in 'critical but stable condition' say family

I heard elsewhere that few recover from 'diffuse axonal injury'. The article here gives some insights:
    Diffuse axonal injury: What is the head injury that Jules Bianchi suffered? - Motor Racing - Sport - The Independent

Poor sod, this is simply awful.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    probably should have been a safety car.

However there was concerns due to the delays to the race and the weather fronts moving in that the race may have had to have been abandoned.

But 'F1' did not want that to happen so they potential took risks they would not normally take.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Sutil was just behind Bianchi when he crashed. Then the next lap, Bianchi went in the same place. So that's how long it took.

Maybe they could have done it slightly faster, but that's not really the point. I wonder if that tractor thing could have remained behind the barrier and reached over to recover Sutil's car. That's something that'll get talked about I imagine. They don't send tractors onto the track in Monaco: they have cranes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It was only a lap after Sutil's crash wasn't it... which is about 2min. The crane was right at the far side of the gravel as well.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Wow. Thanks for sharing. I had a quick look around on the day feeling like I was dirty for wanting to see, but also it's weird when you CAN'T find things these days... you get used to everything being out there.

F1 safety is incredible and this is a crazy one-off, in decades of racing I don't think we've had the same happen. I don't think it necessitates big changes to F1 personally, it's such a freak occurrence that trying to prevent any such thing happening would require over-draconian changes.

As the drivers say, it IS inherently a dangerous sport.
    I think the focus on this is gong to be why it took so long to get Sutils car moved. It's hard to tell from the footage, but the recovery vehicle seemed to be there for a *very* long time while they faffed about with what should have been a simple recovery. If it turns out the marshals failed recover Sutils car fast enough there could be repercussions.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    There's a fair bit of science goes into the racing leathers is what I've been told by people in the know. I can't argue that the actual racing is blistering stuff in the Moto GP events.
    So why does the coverage succeed in making it look totally boring? Why, for example, put a camera on the back of the seat facing forwards? It's gripping wheel to wheel stuff on the ragged edge, let's bloody see it.

Mind you, if you want scary, watch any of the IoM TT guys at work. F***ing insane, the lot of them.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    There's a fair bit of science goes into the racing leathers is what I've been told by people in the know. I can't argue that the actual racing is blistering stuff in the Moto GP events.
    They've got air-bags to stop them snapping collar bones so often.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    I'm surprised how so many of them are able to walk away!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Wow. Thanks for sharing. I had a quick look around on the day feeling like I was dirty for wanting to see, but also it's weird when you CAN'T find things these days... you get used to everything being out there.

F1 safety is incredible and this is a crazy one-off, in decades of racing I don't think we've had the same happen. I don't think it necessitates big changes to F1 personally, it's such a freak occurrence that trying to prevent any such thing happening would require over-draconian changes.

You'll find it all (and stuff you definitely don't want to see) on liveleak.

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Or just watch MotoGP instead of boring/girly F1
    I'm surprised how so many of them are able to walk away!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    I remember when Nikki Lauder was complaining about F1 being over-regulated after Silverstone was held up while they replaced a broken crash barrier. His reasoning was that the likelihood of two cars crashing at the same spot was miniscule. This incident just demonstrates that when you are performing at these margins, these things are more likely to happen. However I don't think further regulation is required. Maybe better use of cranes as opposed to recovery vehicles.

That recovery guy in front of the JCB was bloody lucky!
    Or just watch MotoGP instead of boring/girly F1

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    I remember when Nikki Lauder was complaining about F1 being over-regulated after Silverstone was held up while they replaced a broken crash barrier. His reasoning was that the likelihood of two cars crashing at the same spot was miniscule. This incident just demonstrates that when you are performing at these margins, these things are more likely to happen. However I don't think further regulation is required. Maybe better use of cranes as opposed to recovery vehicles.

That recovery guy in front of the JCB was bloody lucky!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X