• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looks like UKIP will do well in Clacton"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    No because that comparison is moronic!

There is no other way that the phrase "migrants go home" can be anything other than offensive
    didn't know you lived in Clacton, did they deal with your complaint in a timely manner?

I think a whoosh smilie is needed.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Isn't the context of the phrase "Migrants go home" relevant? Or is it a bit like stating that stereotypes exist in racial and social groups which will always get you lynched in some groups?

I'm not a graffiti fan, but I do admit some of the recent Banksy stuff has appealed to me by merit of the messages and the actual artistic qualities displayed.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you complain the council offices have white doors and this implies they don't like back people, would they paint the doors different colours?
    No because that comparison is moronic!

There is no other way that the phrase "migrants go home" can be anything other than offensive

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    And here in lies the problem.

People think if they complain then 'somebody' has to do 'something' - the phrase feck off is most underutilised imho.
    Good grief!

Take away the Banksy element and it's still racist graffiti, doesn't matter if it's satire or not, If he wants to make a satirical comment he shouldn't do it anonymously

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    like when I was called racist for pointing out there are stereotypes about Jews
    Got similar once somewhere else when I mentioned that the huge influx of Eastern European Jews to the East End of London in the late 1800's, a group who refused to integrate, brought anti Semitism back to Britain. That this group was very, very different in attitude to British Jews who had integrated very well in the UK is a matter of historical reality but, no matter, any adverse criticism of any Jew, anywhere or at any time, makes you Hitler.

There can never be any debate on anything if people denounce all reality, no matter how well proven by fact, as racism, anti-Semitism etc. The silliest thing is that they appear to deny that any minorities can ever suffer from normal human failings like racism or they apply double standards. Minorities who never venture outside their own communities in the UK are part of our vibrant multicultural society but white British who prefer their own areas to stay white are xenophobes or little Englanders.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    If you complain the council offices have white doors and this implies they don't like back people, would they paint the doors different colours?
    probably

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Does that mean that Banksy thinks Clacton is a racist town or that UKIP is racist? Or was he just having some fun.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The guy from the council summed it up, dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, but their view was if someone complains it has to be dealt with

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    the correct answer was to cover it then let the council decide.

pity he doesn't sign them.

I thought it was rather good highlighting one of the issues with immigration, then I'm a Banksy fan. I prefer it to getting into Tracey Emin's bed

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    The guy from the council summed it up, dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, but their view was if someone complains it has to be dealt with
    It was probably someone from Frinton.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    And here in lies the problem.

People think if they complain then 'somebody' has to do 'something' - the phrase feck off is most underutilised imho.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    there are stereotypes about Jews
    There are? Only a racist would know that. You racist.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Crazy, whoever it was by. The way I read it, the intent was more likely anti-racist than racist.
    Seemed pretty obvious to me, but then some people think mentioning or acknowledging racism makes you racist (like when I was called racist for pointing out there are stereotypes about Jews).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X