• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "1st class cheaper than economy on Virgin trains"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If you know what to look for, you can get a free upgrade to first on the train from London to Scotland on a Friday afternoon. You don't get the food or drink, but you do get the bigger seat, free wifi, plug socket at your table and quietness.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Darn that's who I meant. It was Virgin when I was a student.

OK, XC have rubbish 1st class. Anyone agree with THAT?
    Yes.

I travel to Birmingham every so often, so get the full English and table service on Virgin, then change to an XC train where I might get a bottle of water if they happen to stroll past.

I now make sure that I book through on Virgin, which is also about 50p cheaper (but a few minutes later).

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    The worst bacon roll I have ever had was a Virgin Trains bacon roll.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    In one job I used to be handed full price (refundable) standard class tickets for Eurostar. Which I would take to the Eurostar station, and cash them in for their full face value. And then immediately buy first class non refundable tickets for the same trains, and put the significant amount of change in my pocket.
    An MEP ??

Don't they get paid full-price first class for trains/flights - regardless of how they actually travel

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Scotland/Penzance is Cross Country which is no longer part of Virgin.
    Darn that's who I meant. It was Virgin when I was a student.

OK, XC have rubbish 1st class. Anyone agree with THAT?

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    5 years back, it was very common. They have set blocks of ticket bands for each train - and people would hoover up all the cheaper bands for standard class, leaving only the expensive ones - but it wouldn't occur to them to check the first class tickets, which had a higher starting point, but the allocation was rarely touched.

Happens less now, because the operators have tweaked the bands and some online booking services will point out that a first class advance is cheaper.

Many moons ago when a permie - the finance dept had a very strict "no first class" rule - and also had a rule to book advance tickets to get the cheapest price.

On more than one occasion, I went to book a train ticket - and pointed out that a first class advance ticket was quite a bit cheaper than standard, but the Rottweiler of the finance department steadfastly refused to book a 1st class ticket - and would always book the higher priced standard class ticket.
    In one job I used to be handed full price (refundable) standard class tickets for Eurostar. Which I would take to the Eurostar station, and cash them in for their full face value. And then immediately buy first class non refundable tickets for the same trains, and put the significant amount of change in my pocket.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Ta for the info. I think perhaps London routes perhaps get the proper treatment. The direct train Scotland-Penzance is very different, which is a shame because the one time you'd really benefit from decent services is a train taking 8+ hours (9 from Durham, probably 12 from Scotland)
    Scotland/Penzance is Cross Country which is no longer part of Virgin.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Many moons ago when a permie - the finance dept had a very strict "no first class" rule - and also had a rule to book advance tickets to get the cheapest price.

On more than one occasion, I went to book a train ticket - and pointed out that a first class advance ticket was quite a bit cheaper than standard, but the Rottweiler of the finance department steadfastly refused to book a 1st class ticket - and would always book the higher priced standard class ticket.
    Back in British Rail days, on the Leeds train out of Kings Cross on a Saturday the guard would come around second class just before the start of the journey flogging upgrades to first class.

Only a couple of quid to do that. Well worth it for the comfier seats alone and it got you away from screaming kids.

Screaming kids in first class? Easy, you'd got several more carriages to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Incorrect. I get service at the table. Each time was drinks. 1st time peanuts. Then sarnies. Then something hot. Then some dessert. Bargain!

I just their wifi worked.
    Plus one to this - I'd never been in a position to routinely commute on the train until this year. My first contract was on Cross Country which had really quite impressive wireless.

I'm now commuting by Virgin and while 1st in nicer overall, I only ever turn my laptop on if I have some offline work to be doing. Complete and utter waste of time.

Must admit, though, I don't even consider travelling standard now.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Aha. Now if they'd only think that using their big trains on their longest route made sense.

Bizarre, they send a 3-4 carriage all the way from Edinburgh to Penzance. But from London, you can get a 8-9 carriage with 3 (excellent) first class cars, which only stops at 4-5 stations... including Durham and Newcastle. I can get to London in under 3 hours...
    That's probably more to do with the upgrade to the WCML rather than anything else. That line was adapted for the longer tilting trains.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's the difference between the Pendolino and the Voyager service.

Voyager = smaller trains, no proper kitchen, no proper food service
    Pendolino = bigger trains, real food.
    Aha. Now if they'd only think that using their big trains on their longest route made sense.

Bizarre, they send a 3-4 carriage all the way from Edinburgh to Penzance. But from London, you can get a 8-9 carriage with 3 (excellent) first class cars, which only stops at 4-5 stations... including Durham and Newcastle. I can get to London in under 3 hours...

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    5 years back, it was very common. They have set blocks of ticket bands for each train - and people would hoover up all the cheaper bands for standard class, leaving only the expensive ones - but it wouldn't occur to them to check the first class tickets, which had a higher starting point, but the allocation was rarely touched.

Happens less now, because the operators have tweaked the bands and some online booking services will point out that a first class advance is cheaper.

Last edited by centurian; 17 September 2014, 16:52.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Another thumbs up for the Virgin First Class service and the traveller scheme. I was on it just before they lost the bid. When it was returned to Virgin they extended this until the end of Nov this year. I only have a couple of free months left - unfortunately the virgin train to Edinburgh doesn't go through Manchester and the trains that link to it have proved to be too unreliable. So I drive! I miss the free food and booze!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Wow, it cut out right on the third word of that sentence, then came back in again!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Virgin 1st-class is crap. A paper cup of coffee and a microwaved bacon roll.
    Incorrect. I get service at the table. Each time was drinks. 1st time peanuts. Then sarnies. Then something hot. Then some dessert. Bargain!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X