• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone thinking of sending your kids to private school?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Such a blanket statement really is poor form on your part.... If you are able to get a high standard state school then fine, otherwise those wanting to give their children the best in life are left with little choice.
    It rather depends how bright the child is.

If you have the money to afford private school, you probably have the money to buy somewhere in a good catchment. But again - don't you get a choice these days rather than having to go to the nearest school?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Every kid is entitled to make his own decision on what he wants to do. The best a parent can do is provide the environment that is of good quality and encourage the kind of independent thinking the eventually makes them join the army.
    It does not mean all the education and the spending was a total waste. He has not become a drug dealer has he ?
    Indeed, it's not like defending your country is a worthless thing! I'd rather have well educated soldiers defending our country anyway....

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Do you mean public schools, or state schools? There's a bit of a difference...
    Sorry when I say public schools I mean state schools.... I noticed people use different terminology.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    To be honest even if he did get into alt grammar, these early years are still really important in forming the kind of excellent citizen. Not saying public schools don't work but I can see many differences on outlook between public educated me and private educated friends. Giving an extra 5% even to your little ones is enough to justify the cost, let alone a lot more than that.
    Do you mean public schools, or state schools? There's a bit of a difference...

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Anyone thinking of sending your kids to private school?

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Every kid is entitled to make his own decision on what he wants to do. The best a parent can do is provide the environment that is of good quality and encourage the kind of independent thinking the eventually makes them join the army.
    It does not mean all the education and the spending was a total waste. He has not become a drug dealer has he ?
    Whs. I for one never enjoyed school. That was much more of a waste IMO. My kids loving school and getting the most out of it would make every penny worthwhile. Considering there is a massive waiting list for the school mini nwp2c has got into, there is more competition for it than the best local state schools. It has the best rep and environment of any school we visited.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Are the state schools really that bad near you? My youngest started school this week. The parents are very nice mostly middle class, the school is really good, and my little one is already starting to show the benefit.

The money I have saved I'll pump into private tution and nice holidays. Would be ironic if he got into Altrincham grammar and yours didn't.
    To be honest even if he did get into alt grammar, these early years are still really important in forming the kind of excellent citizen. Not saying public schools don't work but I can see many differences on outlook between public educated me and private educated friends. Giving an extra 5% even to your little ones is enough to justify the cost, let alone a lot more than that.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Such a blanket statement really is poor form on your part.... If you are able to get a high standard state school then fine, otherwise those wanting to give their children the best in life are left with little choice.
    Are the state schools really that bad near you? My youngest started school this week. The parents are very nice mostly middle class, the school is really good, and my little one is already starting to show the benefit.

The money I have saved I'll pump into private tution and nice holidays. Would be ironic if he got into Altrincham grammar and yours didn't.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    It's an utter waste of money, a fellow contractor wasted most of his extra income on this and after hundreds of thousands the kid decided it wanted to join the army

Save some money aside and get some good tutors booked for years leading up to exams at a good state school. Will cost you a 100th of the amount.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Given the experience of others I know whose children go to private schools I think the risk is minimal.

Here is a question, how do you know if the private school your child is going to is actually good or not....
    I have seen generations of children coming out of it and the type of people they are and their outlook to education. Completely different to how the people around my viewed it as I was growing up and the same kind of schools are still the same....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    And in the meantime let your child suffer the consequences of poor schooling... Nice one
    Given the experience of others I know whose children go to private schools I think the risk is minimal.

Here is a question, how do you know if the private school your child is going to is actually good or not....

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    No those who live in an area with poorer schools can volunteer to be a school governor and drive their ambition by ensuring local schools improve...

And in the meantime let your child suffer the consequences of poor schooling... Nice one

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    No those who live in an area with poorer schools can volunteer to be a school governor and drive their ambition by ensuring local schools improve...

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    It's an utter waste of money, a fellow contractor wasted most of his extra income on this and after hundreds of thousands the kid decided it wanted to join the army

Save some money aside and get some good tutors booked for years leading up to exams at a good state school. Will cost you a 100th of the amount.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

+1. The thing with playing the state system by moving to the catchment area of a good school is that you won't lose money. As you get that money back later...

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X