• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Place your bets - 79% Of Scots Backing Yes"

Collapse

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Where does it say you have to use a lid company?

1. You're afraid that your workmanship is actually not all that and as such use a Ltd to limit your liability. Which is as much use as a cat flap in an elhapant house, incidentally.

2. Your clients will not engage you otherwise. That's backwards briton for you.
    I think Eek meant we are forced to rather than we have to. This comes from the much earlier introduction of the Employment Agencies Act 1972 and other related legislation that sought to transfer the risk of non payment for the self employed to the end client. Clients then said, OK we seperate our relationship using an agent. Agents rubbed their hands with glee. Contractors decided to use Limiteds so they didn't need to go through an agent but clients liked the model so it became standard.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Your lot have a disproportionate influence on England. Without your rabid left wing dick heads we would have had more Tory government. As it is they only get to power when the country is in a mess. Scotland needs a centre right party to stimulate entrepreneurial activity not a bunch of left wingers throwing away public money to get themselves into power.
    The jury is out on the competencies of the SNP and whilst it may look like they may be going in the right direction let us see when they have to take responsibility for an entire economy. The chances are that labour will run the country anyway so I do hope they have a begging hotline to the IMF
    As for the Oxford educated Eton boys I would rather have one of them running the country than either of the war mongering educated Scots that were sent here to bankrupt the country
    In most of the years we have had a Labour government, they would have won even without the 47-50 MPs from Scotland. They know to get in at Westminster they need to win over the voters they call 'Middle England'. That's why you can't get a fag paper between the leaders of the 3 main parties, they are all trying to win that vote.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Because they are conservatives and view the UK as a whole. it is part of the tradition passed down through Eton and Oxford that come what may we should stick together.

I care because I believe in small entities with direct lines of responsibility. If the Scots pull it off the rest of Europe can follow.
    Never have I heard such rubbish. It's because THEY are better off. ***** the rest of us, they do not care, neither does Labour and Lib Dums are now extinct.

Originally posted by eek View Post
    You are aware of why contractors have to use limited companies? Hint it arises from the dim and distance past and has nowt to do with tax benefits...
    I am fully aware and if it weren't for the circumstances to which you allude, none of us would ever have had to use an agent and the only benefit they offer me, I can get from an invoice factor without all the tulip that goes with working via an agent

We plan to develop a new tax system for Scotland to better meet key policy objectives, based on the design principles of a modern and efficient system set out by the Fiscal Commission:
    ■■ simplicity – tax rules and obligations are well known, easily understood and liability is clear
    ■■ neutrality – the negative or unintended effects of taxation should be minimised and decisions on taxes should be made on merit
    ■■ stability – of both tax revenue stream and tax rules and procedures, allowing predictability and certainty in the decision making and planning of individuals, businesses and government
    ■■ flexibility – to respond to change, particularly in a dynamic and constantly evolving global economy

Weasel words but at least a modicum of intention
    We have heard it all before: BBC News - Tax system 'to be simplified to encourage investment'

And look what happens: Coalition Creating More Tax Loopholes Than They Are Scrapping, MPs Warn
    I don't know anyone who even thought for a moment that Westminster had any intention of actually simplifying the tax system. If you believed it, you deserve all the disappointment you got and more.

I say let the Scots try it, they could do worse and if it doesn't work out so what. Yes, it will cost them and what's left of the UK some money but I'd rather it went on something else than free champers in the Commons canteen!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You are aware of why contractors have to use limited companies? ...
    Where does it say you have to use a lid company?

1. You're afraid that your workmanship is actually not all that and as such use a Ltd to limit your liability. Which is as much use as a cat flap in an elhapant house, incidentally.

2. Your clients will not engage you otherwise. That's backwards briton for you.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    We plan to develop a new tax system for Scotland to better meet key policy objectives, based on the design principles of a modern and efficient system set out by the Fiscal Commission:
    ■■ simplicity – tax rules and obligations are well known, easily understood and liability is clear
    ■■ neutrality – the negative or unintended effects of taxation should be minimised and decisions on taxes should be made on merit
    ■■ stability – of both tax revenue stream and tax rules and procedures, allowing predictability and certainty in the decision making and planning of individuals, businesses and government
    ■■ flexibility – to respond to change, particularly in a dynamic and constantly evolving global economy

We have heard it all before: BBC News - Tax system 'to be simplified to encourage investment'
    And look what happens: Coalition Creating More Tax Loopholes Than They Are Scrapping, MPs Warn
    Yes, we've all heard it all before. From Westminster.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    The broad shoulders of the UK is the only thing keeping IR35 investigations afloat.

The current obfuscated tax system would be in for the chop in an independent Scotland. It's in the white paper somewhere. I don't imagine IR35 shall be part of that somehow. I also heard that cash accounting would be reintroduced, so no need for a Ltd Company for the supposed tax gains
    You are aware of why contractors have to use limited companies? Hint it arises from the dim and distance past and has nowt to do with tax benefits...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    So why doesn't the Tory party support the Yes vote?

Because they are conservatives and view the UK as a whole. it is part of the tradition passed down through Eton and Oxford that come what may we should stick together

Why do you even care?
    Because they are conservatives and view the UK as a whole. it is part of the tradition passed down through Eton and Oxford that come what may we should stick together.

I care because I believe in small entities with direct lines of responsibility. If the Scots pull it off the rest of Europe can follow.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Do you think that Salmond will give us some guarantees on their proposals for IR35's equivalent post 'Yes'?
    The broad shoulders of the UK is the only thing keeping IR35 investigations afloat.

The current obfuscated tax system would be in for the chop in an independent Scotland. It's in the white paper somewhere. I don't imagine IR35 shall be part of that somehow. I also heard that cash accounting would be reintroduced, so no need for a Ltd Company for the supposed tax gains

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Do you really think SNP are going to be interested in helping people earning circa £100,000 per year any sort of tax break
    I don't 'earn' anyhere near that, my agent sees to that

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Your lot have a disproportionate influence on England. Without your rabid left wing dick heads we would have had more Tory government. As it is they only get to power when the country is in a mess. Scotland needs a centre right party to stimulate entrepreneurial activity not a bunch of left wingers throwing away public money to get themselves into power.
    The jury is out on the competencies of the SNP and whilst it may look like they may be going in the right direction let us see when they have to take responsibility for an entire economy. The chances are that labour will run the country anyway so I do hope they have a begging hotline to the IMF
    As for the Oxford educated Eton boys I would rather have one of them running the country than either of the war mongering educated Scots that were sent here to bankrupt the country
    So why doesn't the Tory party support the Yes vote?

I happen to support the yes vote. I just don't think the Scots are capable of running their own affairs.
    Why do you even care?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Do you think that Salmond will give us some guarantees on their proposals for IR35's equivalent post 'Yes'?

Will I have time to get my affairs in order before the referendum if it is favourable?
    Do you really think SNP are going to be interested in helping people earning circa £100,000 per year any sort of tax break

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

We'd be a nation of recruitment agents if that were true.

Will I have time to get my affairs in order before the referendum if it is favourable?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I just don't think the Scots are capable of running their own affairs.
    We'd be a nation of recruitment agents if that were true.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Correct.

The 'Little Englanders' like Dodgy are usually first to scream about the ridiculous rules and laws made by the EU because you can't treat all these differing economies in the same way with the same rules. Well, same goes for the inside of the UK.
    I happen to support the yes vote. I just don't think the Scots are capable of running their own affairs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X