• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 200 years.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "200 years."

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Teehee.

The Yanks take themselves too seriously at times.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    "In the rockets red glare"
    That was the last time the American flag had the same number of stars as stripes.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Oops.

qh

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    "Status Quo Ante Bellum".

Same state as existed before the war. (Hence why I thought it was odd, both sides considered it a victory for them, but nothing really changed.)

qh

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I feel the bile rising.. to equate an Act of War (for which the Americans had declared War on GB some 2 years earlier ) with the same "without warning" sneaky underhanded attacks such as Pearl Harbour or 9/11 shows American history manipulation at its worst

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Pearl Harbour was hardly any more of a surprise. FDR had deliberately baited Japan for a long time, precisely for the purpose of inducing them into starting a war.

"American history manipulation"
    "sneaky underhanded"

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A CIA analysis of "…the causes and consequences of
    the American failure to anticipate, perceive, and prepare for the British attack": https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...4-June2014.pdf (PDF)
    I feel the bile rising.. to equate an Act of War (for which the Americans had declared War on GB some 2 years earlier ) with the same "without warning" sneaky underhanded attacks such as Pearl Harbour or 9/11 shows American history manipulation at its worst

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    the American failure to anticipate, perceive, and prepare for the British attack": https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...4-June2014.pdf (PDF)
    Very interesting.

At least they got a good national anthem out of the Brits though

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    If everybody had just sat down with a nice cup of tea, I'm sure it could all have been sorted out peacefully
    Glass of vodka would have worked.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If everybody had just sat down with a nice cup of tea, I'm sure it could all have been sorted out peacefully.

Oh, wait…
    lol.

wrong war.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Bit of an odd one the War of 1812 (considering it went on for a bit longer).

qh
    you have to put it in context.

the Napoleonic wars were raging in Europe. China and Japan were not powers.
    The old order was changing, nations and empires were falling, countries and boundaries were being redrawn.
    Britain, the enemy, was under the cosh. The US was getting strong and Canada was a ripe plum.

The US had paved the way with new infantry tactics in the war of independance, nobody could beat their light infantry tactics, and they had planty of them. So they attacked

and got their butts kicked all the way back down south, till we burned their capitol.

Interestingly. At Waterloo(1815), there were a few 'American' brigades

these were British infantry who were highly trained, then fought the Americans. so they were experienced as well. They performed even better than Wellington peninsular veterans

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    If everybody had just sat down with a nice cup of tea, I'm sure it could all have been sorted out peacefully.

Oh, wait…

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Bit of an odd one the War of 1812 (considering it went on for a bit longer).

qh

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Oh say can you see

make you damned proud to be British doesnt it

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Sort of sandy since Wiki reckons it's made out of sandstone.
    I once came across a pub leaflet (in Yorkshire) that claimed the White House steps had come from a nearby quarry.

York stone no less.

I always thought it was BS for the tourists but mebbe not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X