• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gardener's Question Time"

Collapse

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    There's a bit of a slope on my garden.

I think it's to do with the dutch hoe.
    Even the ground is racist now.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I had murder in Tescos today. I pointed out that calling the vegetables, 'vegetables' was derogatory, demeaning and disablist.
    So the absolute idiot in charge asked me what we should call them instead.
    'er - not fruity', i suggested
    'whaat'
    he rolled the sleeves up on his pink shirt

and thats when the fight started

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I'll certainly buy ones that look like deformed fannies

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    And surely all this reluctance by supermarkets to sell distorted fruit and vegetables is a concealed attack on the disabled?
    Some places have decided to start selling potatoes that look like CUK members and carrots that look like deformed willies:

Fruta Feia | Gente bonita come fruta feia

Grocery Store Reduces Food Waste by Featuring Deformed Produce | Care2 Causes - French Grocery Store Intermarché Launches Inglorious Fruits & Vegetables Campaign to Urge People to Eat More Produce | One Green Planet - https://www.intermarche.com/home.html

But they're foreign....

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Don't forget those racist gnomes....

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Just to emphasise the laziness of the Indy's journalist: the programme itself is available on BBC iPlayer. But they didn't even bother listening to it and reporting what was actually said and understanding its context, instead just grabbing stuff from the Mail and repeating it.

Lazy, lazy, lazy
    Only what we do - google, cut and paste

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    And surely all this reluctance by supermarkets to sell distorted fruit and vegetables is a concealed attack on the disabled?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    What about the boycott Israel campaign, isn't just an front for lefty closet racists to be able feel superior when the post about it social media

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Damn, even the government are racist now:

Invasive non-native species report published - News from Parliament - UK Parliament

Natural England - England's Non-native Species Audit

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Link to the Independent. But wait, what's this at the start of para 5?
    According to the Daily Mail…

Ah
    Just to emphasise the laziness of the Indy's journalist: the programme itself is available on BBC iPlayer. But they didn't even bother listening to it and reporting what was actually said and understanding its context, instead just grabbing stuff from the Mail and repeating it.

Lazy, lazy, lazy

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Link to the Independent. But wait, what's this at the start of para 5?
    According to the Daily Mail…

Ah

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Some academics have too much time on their hands and are desperate to get their work read they will say anything to get in the news.

A more sensible analysis of the findings is given by:
    A horticulturalist and long-time Gardeners’ Question Time panellist Stefan Buczacki called the claims “utterly absurd.”
    Stefan was born in Derbyshire of an English mother and a Polish father and says the achievement of which he is proudest is to have been voted among the 100 people of Polish descent who have contributed most to the life and culture of Britain
    linky

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Racist? The lunatics (read academics) are taking over the asylum...these people don't live in the real world: Radio 4's Gardeners' Question Time accused of being a vehicle to project 'racist' leanings - Home News - UK - The Independent

So what is a plant such as Japanese Knotweed if not non-native? What should we call it? 'Immigrant Vegetation?' **** me even it's Latin name is not in English: Fallopia japonica. What should we call words like this that are not English? 'Bloody Foreign Gibberish?' *******

Mind you, NLyUK was on there the other week. She had something nasty growing in her front privett iirc.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    started a topic Gardener's Question Time

Gardener's Question Time

Racist? The lunatics (read academics) are taking over the asylum...these people don't live in the real world: Radio 4's Gardeners' Question Time accused of being a vehicle to project 'racist' leanings - Home News - UK - The Independent

The use of botanic terms such as native and non-native, for example, panders to an innate desire to express nationalism, he says.
    So what is a plant such as Japanese Knotweed if not non-native? What should we call it? 'Immigrant Vegetation?' **** me even it's Latin name is not in English: Fallopia japonica. What should we call words like this that are not English? 'Bloody Foreign Gibberish?' *******

Working...
X