• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Proper Dooooom! The Sky is Falling!"

Collapse

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Hang on the full severity of this is hitting home now....How would I invoice if my laptop was fried!
    Just use old tech - paper and pen.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Hang on the full severity of this is hitting home now....How would I invoice if my laptop was fried!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    De-doomed: Keep Calm: The Truth About The Huge Solar Flare That Just Missed Earth - Forbes
    "What seems to be going on here is that NASA put out a press release on Wednesday rehashing the details of the 2012 flare and the research that’s been dripping out over the past year. It’s actually a great primer on space weather and the potential damage that can be done by huge coronal mass ejections, including the last time the planet was actually in the firing line. That happened over 150 years ago. By the way, that event — known as the Carrington event — did not vaporize any people, animals or planets, but it did do damage to telegraph lines and create some epic northern lights as far south as Tahiti."

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Probably lots of space aliens 60 light years away listening to Hancock's Half Hour.
    yep, and they have a green guy with seven tentacles, with one sucker on the big red button that fires the inter-galactic Bazoomatron. As soon as he detects big brother or twitter, his job is to press the button

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    There's always the Aga.
    Unless it's a gas or LPG one...

You need one of these bad boys: Ironheart - Multi-fuel cooking stove that burns logs beautifully Just like Hugh Fearnley Whatsit - I bet he's ok in this scenario (till the starving masses descend on him..)

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Valve transmitters are very easy to make.

And I've got a shedload (literally) of valves to do it with.

Maybe I'd better get started, so I'm ahead of the game & don't need to use a poke heated on an open fire as a soldering iron.

Can you make a valve record player so that you've something to play over the air too please?

I'm assuming that would be easier than a valve MP3 player?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It would be great listening to all those old programmes again
    Probably lots of space aliens 60 light years away listening to Hancock's Half Hour.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Probably someone with a valve transmitter.
    It would be great listening to all those old programmes again.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Probably someone with a valve transmitter.
    It's you isn't it? You're going to be the only one broadcasting and the only one listening

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I was going to do a thread on this one but then couldn't be arsed as Zeity was bound to do it for me. Thanks boy. Now make me a toasted cheese sandwich.

PS Old battery AM radios make great wire detectors.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 29 July 2014, 08:26.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Maybe I'd better do some work on that battery powered portable wireless I bought off ebay.
    Um, Zeity? Who's going to be broadcasting?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Gulp.

Everyone round to zeity's - he knows how to grow cabbage
    He can't cook it though, so we're still f***ed, and not in a good way

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    All the skills of the Information Age become instantly useless once a massive solar flare wipes out the electronics.
    Gulp.

Everyone round to zeity's - he knows how to grow cabbage

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    started a topic Proper Dooooom! The Sky is Falling!

Proper Dooooom! The Sky is Falling!

NASA sounds red alert over solar flare that nearly wiped out human civilization two summers ago - NaturalNews.com

All gone in an instant!

Nothing with a chip in it will work!

Riots in the streets!

I'm not altogether sure why everything electronic gets zapped.

Stuff connected to networks such as the mains and telephone, yes, but everything?

Must be one hell of an EMP for that.

Thank heavens for my Murphy B40 and Racal RA17 receivers.

They're stuffed full of valves.

Sadly, no 'lectrick to make them work though.

Ho hum.

Maybe I'd better do some work on that battery powered portable wireless I bought off ebay.

Then again, maybe a CME isn't such a bad thing:

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/john-olive...125900969.html

John Oliver Warns That Nuclear Annihilation is Just About Inevitable
    Last edited by zeitghost; 6 June 2017, 08:53.

Working...
X