• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giant Umbrella furlough scheme for present Covid-19 situation"

Collapse

• Wary
    replied
    Originally posted by Beiberbuffet View Post
    Giant group solutions limited has decided for now not to pay the 80% furlough for the second lockdown for contractors using the umbrella solution.

They are presently expected if operating the scheme to fund employer’s National Insurance (13.8%), employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay) and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%) on any furlough payments made.

Are other giant contractors interested in petitioning giant group limited in a professional manner over this decision?

Please contact me ASAP if this is the case!

C
    I was with Contractor Umbrella and I didn't receive any furlough money whatsoever even though I was eligible. So if Giant got you something during the first lockdown despite the cost & inconvenience to themselves, then that's not bad.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by UmbrellaellaGuru View Post
    Is it sarcastic morning?

I am pointing out the reasons why companies aren't doing this and providing information - whereby you are providing sarcastic comments with no content or relevant information?
    Because if you had read the thread you would have seen that I had already made your point and I don't claim to be a guru on anything.

You are posting on a forum where some of the posters know more about the workings of the umbrella industry than a lot of workers within it (why do you think those umbrella firms pay for "Gurus").

The simple fact is that in the early days a few umbrella firms (Orca) did furlough people but it was hard enough to do it when it was a manual process for which the umbrella firm couldn't charge a fee and became impossible when the umbrella company was expected to pay / contribute towards the NI side of things.
    Last edited by eek; 6 January 2021, 09:44.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    So how are Giant supposed to fund:

employer’s National Insurance (13.8%),
    employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay)
    and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%)

given the way their business model works.
    Exactly - where do they get the money from?

Leave a comment:

• UmbrellaellaGuru
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Is it drunk night ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Is it sarcastic morning?

I am pointing out the reasons why companies aren't doing this and providing information - whereby you are providing sarcastic comments with no content or relevant information?

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by UmbrellaellaGuru View Post
    Hello!

Just to let you know all Umbrella companies would have to fund the Apprenticeship levy - as this amount is based on the annual turnover - YES furlough counts as turnover!

They would also have to fund Employers NI.

Bear in mind FURLOUGH is a VOLUNTEER scheme no employer is obligated!

I work with many umbrella companies and none of them are doing it ( I work as a consultant for umbrellas)

It is posts like this that are causing unnecessary hardship for staff of these companies. As a contractor (who I do use an umbrella myself) I understand these things happen we all know we are going through umbrella companies to manage payroll and for IR35.

If you want to petition petition the government for not taking care of you not these companies.
    Is it drunk night ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• UmbrellaellaGuru
    replied
    Umbrella

Hello!

Just to let you know all Umbrella companies would have to fund the Apprenticeship levy - as this amount is based on the annual turnover - YES furlough counts as turnover!

They would also have to fund Employers NI.

Bear in mind FURLOUGH is a VOLUNTEER scheme no employer is obligated!

I work with many umbrella companies and none of them are doing it ( I work as a consultant for umbrellas)

It is posts like this that are causing unnecessary hardship for staff of these companies. As a contractor (who I do use an umbrella myself) I understand these things happen we all know we are going through umbrella companies to manage payroll and for IR35.

If you want to petition petition the government for not taking care of you not these companies.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    This must mean that the government dosent want anyone to be employed. Hmmn who will be left to pay all the taxes, the civil service staff?
    Interesting conclusion based on nothing.

Anyway, you've got that the wrong way round. They want the proles to be employed and paying lots of taxes, and the government supporters to use "furlough" as a way of getting income.

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Long story short you are an employee when it suits the government and self employed when it doesn't.
    That's the situation many of us find ourselves in now though. We no longer get the benefits of being self-employed, nor those of being employed, so we're in a kind of limbo.

Leave a comment:

• Beiberbuffet
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Long story short you are an employee when it suits the government and self employed when it doesn't.
    This must mean that the government dosent want anyone to be employed. Hmmn who will be left to pay all the taxes, the civil service staff?

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Beiberbuffet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

More to the point why is Giant having to pay an apprenticeship levy of 0.5% for this furlough scheme I’m looking through HMRC’s guidance and it dosent seem to be mentioned that this is a must be done part of the furlough scheme.

So there we go as usual can’t get something we are told we are entitled to as a contractor.

The other question technically the umbrella arrangement classes you as an employee so dosent this mean that technically you could qualify for redundancy pay despite you having been furloughed or does furlough disqualify this? More to the point how can giant pay for that?
    Last edited by Beiberbuffet; 15 November 2020, 12:22.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I wonder what the might FCSA says about this and what their conduct rules say about it.

EDIT : Oh hang on. Policy is created by the big umbrellas that run it so whatever FCSA decides it will only be selfserving for the brollys and won't give a crap about the contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Drei
    replied
    PayStream did the same thing, been out of work since July, the only money I am getting is £450 a month from my old LTD company.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Giant group solutions limited has decided for now not to pay the 80% furlough for the second lockdown for contractors using the umbrella solution.

They are presently expected if operating the scheme to fund employer’s National Insurance (13.8%), employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay) and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%) on any furlough payments made.

Are other giant contractors interested in petitioning giant group limited in a professional manner over this decision?

C

Leave a comment:

• Giant Umbrella furlough scheme for present Covid-19 situation

C

Working...
X