• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract day rate changed"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
    one day less in fact
    As long as you spread that across the week. Otherwise you'll only be able to bill for four days.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's a slightly worrying sign they view you like an employee or it could be a cynical ploy. You can challenge it but if this is imposed across the workforce it sounds a bit unlikely to work.

Worth a push but be polite and professional, don't make threats you aren't prepared to follow.

How/why are they reducing all permie salaries 20%? That is surely needing consent unless they are furloughing which is very different. Are they just seeing the 80% figure in the headlines and jumping on board?

Leave a comment:

• caffeine man
    replied
    Had this happen to me in the 2008 financial crisis. I took the cut. I hear some banks ( the red and white types ) do this routinely when a contractor starts

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    If you're working at home, accept and then work 25% less hard.

Leave a comment:

• MisterLysenkiy
    replied
    Originally posted by wcsltd View Post
    You could accept the change and do 20% less work - seems fair to me
    one day less in fact

Leave a comment:

• wcsltd
    replied
    You could accept the change and do 20% less work - seems fair to me

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by DDD1 View Post
    Hey all,

I started a new contract on the 8th of March and it runs until 15th May. The agency I got the contract with informed me yesterday that due to Coronavirus my day rate will be reduced by 20% which is in line with how they are treating perm staff. I'm unsure if they can actually do this seeing as the contract runs until 15th May. Also, treating contractors how they are treating perm staff doesn't sit right, what with the benefits perm staff will still receive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    First thing I would do is speak to the end client and make sure this is not just the agent trying it on. If it is legit then I would probably take it and look for something else.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The companies that are "taking advantage" are few and far between when GDP drops by 30-40%, many companies need to cut costs drastically just to keep solvent.

I would accept your 20% cut. The market is currently awash with laid off contractors.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Hardly the time to be complaining about taking a 20% rate cut... The world is burning and there isn't much going on beyond your current contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    This is one of the many of PCs mates we are talking about
    And birds of a feather flock together.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Why hand in the notice? I'd keep the old role in my back pocket in case something goes wrong with the new one in 3 months time. If everything is still good with the new client in 3 months then you can tell the old client that you would like to extend the hiatus indefinitely.
    This is one of the many of PCs mates we are talking about

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yeh its take it or leave it I'm afraid....

Mate of mine got told "don't come in for 3 months" so zero pay. Then client tried to tell him not to try and work elsewhere because they'll expect him back when they want him back. Seemed like a bit much....

Anyway, he was lucky, got a new gig this week working from home, handed in his weeks notice. Client was not happy but it does work both ways...
    Why hand in the notice? I'd keep the old role in my back pocket in case something goes wrong with the new one in 3 months time. If everything is still good with the new client in 3 months then you can tell the old client that you would like to extend the hiatus indefinitely.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Yeh its take it or leave it I'm afraid....

Mate of mine got told "don't come in for 3 months" so zero pay. Then client tried to tell him not to try and work elsewhere because they'll expect him back when they want him back. Seemed like a bit much....

Anyway, he was lucky, got a new gig this week working from home, handed in his weeks notice. Client was not happy but it does work both ways...

Leave a comment:

• CosmicWave
    replied
    Originally posted by DDD1 View Post
    Hey all,

I started a new contract on the 8th of March and it runs until 15th May. The agency I got the contract with informed me yesterday that due to Coronavirus my day rate will be reduced by 20% which is in line with how they are treating perm staff. I'm unsure if they can actually do this seeing as the contract runs until 15th May. Also, treating contractors how they are treating perm staff doesn't sit right, what with the benefits perm staff will still receive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I think your client is just taking advantage of the COVID-19 situation and applying the advantage to cut costs.

Anyway, its up to you, to take it or leave. Check your finances and decide.

The market out there is absolutely empty.
    There are shameless agents calling up asking "How are you finding the market?" (whilst people are dying in 100s out there everyday!)

Ensure you ask for new contract paperwork though.

Once you accept it, in a week or so, they will come around and ask for another cost cut. So, be prepared for that coming next.

All that said, this will not affect your IR35 position if that is what you are thinking about.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    20% more of nothing is....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X