• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should you divulge previous contract rate to an agency ?"

Collapse

• AvsFan
    replied
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Some very good info that I can use going forward.

The agency did in fact eventually come back to me. Said they had put my CV forward but who knows whether that is geniune
    The role does exist as they did tell me the name of the client. Ah well......continuing to look.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
    Commercially confidential my ####

If an agency is wanting latest rate, they should be okay to divulge the rate

Rascals
    Who'd have thought it?

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    It's in line with market norms.

Or

It's commercially confidential.
    Commercially confidential my ####

If an agency is wanting latest rate, they should be okay to divulge the rate

Rascals

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
    Very good point - what is the response to this?
    It's in line with market norms.

Or

It's commercially confidential.

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    I have no problem telling them and expect them to tell me their margin if I'm offered a contract.
    Very good point - what is the response to this?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by kmge View Post
    Client confidentiality, that's what I say when asked this question. I then say the rate for this role will depend on deliverables and location send me the spec and I'll tell you the rate. If they press then I say market rate.

If you getting nothing in your inbox then there was no role and the agent is a lying rat.
    +1

There are plenty of vague terms that they are familiar with in terms of describing the rate - market rate, competitive, in line with experience etc.

Give me the details and the location (and in some case who I'll be working with) and I'll give you a price.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Agreed with what others have said. I always lie and add a bit to last rate to get it near to what I want for role.
    Add on 10%. So bump it up to £80 a week.

Leave a comment:

• kmge
    replied
    Client confidentiality, that's what I say when asked this question. I then say the rate for this role will depend on deliverables and location send me the spec and I'll tell you the rate. If they press then I say market rate.

If you getting nothing in your inbox then there was no role and the agent is a lying rat.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Agreed with what others have said. I always lie and add a bit to last rate to get it near to what I want for role.

Heres what I reckon they ask for. OK, client is willing to pay £500 (example), so agent is thinking I can get someone in for £400-£450 and still charge client £500. Then, lo and behold, contractor appears who admits current rate is £300, so now agent knows that if he gets £320 for this guy hes going to be happy and agent gets to pocket a huge cut.

I do two main things. One pays more than the other. Last year I've had one or two decent gigs using tech A paying pretty well. Recent gig was tech B and was poor rate.

So, applied for gig for tech A. Decent-ish rate. Agent asked the question - Even though I exagerrated a bit I was too honest and I admitted that last gig for Tech B was a bit low but recent gigs for Tech A was higher as expected.

Agents answer - client wont pay rate because your last gig was much lower rate. (despite being completely different technology).

FFS. Piss off then.

Leave a comment:

• texto
    replied
    Originally posted by AvsFan View Post

Was I right to not divulge my previous contract rate ? By not doing so why has this appeared to affect my chances of securing an interview or have I just been unlucky with a poor agency ?
    I think your response was not sharp. You must know the desired rate you want for your contract. Subtract 20 from it and say you are currently on that rate. If you want 450/day then say I'm on 430 already. No one can find out what your current rate is. And expecting a raise of 20 per day is normal.

Having said that I would not have expected the agent to sulk. They probably have nothing for you.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    I have no problem telling them and expect them to tell me their margin if I'm offered a contract.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    I always tell them the number that is most advantageous to me as a negotiating tool.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Either this or if you want to keep the tone cordial, say as your 'current' rate the minimum or target salary you're looking for. No recruiter would offer you less than you're on, but they might seek to 'match' it (or feel they are)

And yes, cheeky buggers for both asking and ALWAYS taking advantage of it.
    Yup - my last rate is always the rate I want. They're not thick and they know it can't ever be verified, but it's easier than getting in to to a debate over it and it lets them know quickly whether we're in the right ballpark.

Plus, from my POV, it offers a little protection. If you say "The rate I'm after is £x" then you're pretty much stuck with that, whereas you can reasonably safely say "The rate I'm on is £[y], but it's an easy gig close to home so I'd have to make sure the commercials stack up for this one"

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    They always seem to ask what rate are you on now, my answer is always "the rate I'm looking for is £xxxx"
    Either this or if you want to keep the tone cordial, say as your 'current' rate the minimum or target salary you're looking for. No recruiter would offer you less than you're on, but they might seek to 'match' it (or feel they are)

And yes, cheeky buggers for both asking and ALWAYS taking advantage of it.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    They always seem to ask what rate are you on now, my answer is always "the rate I'm looking for is £xxxx"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X