• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should you divulge previous contract rate to an agency ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client confidentiality, that's what I say when asked this question. I then say the rate for this role will depend on deliverables and location send me the spec and I'll tell you the rate. If they press then I say market rate.

If you getting nothing in your inbox then there was no role and the agent is a lying rat.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Agreed with what others have said. I always lie and add a bit to last rate to get it near to what I want for role.
      Add on 10%. So bump it up to £80 a week.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by kmge View Post
        Client confidentiality, that's what I say when asked this question. I then say the rate for this role will depend on deliverables and location send me the spec and I'll tell you the rate. If they press then I say market rate.

If you getting nothing in your inbox then there was no role and the agent is a lying rat.
        +1

There are plenty of vague terms that they are familiar with in terms of describing the rate - market rate, competitive, in line with experience etc.

Give me the details and the location (and in some case who I'll be working with) and I'll give you a price.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
          I have no problem telling them and expect them to tell me their margin if I'm offered a contract.
          Very good point - what is the response to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
            Very good point - what is the response to this?
            It's in line with market norms.

Or

It's commercially confidential.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              It's in line with market norms.

Or

It's commercially confidential.
              Commercially confidential my ####

If an agency is wanting latest rate, they should be okay to divulge the rate

Rascals

Comment

Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
                Commercially confidential my ####

If an agency is wanting latest rate, they should be okay to divulge the rate

Rascals
                Who'd have thought it?
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.
                  Some very good info that I can use going forward.

The agency did in fact eventually come back to me. Said they had put my CV forward but who knows whether that is geniune
                  The role does exist as they did tell me the name of the client. Ah well......continuing to look.

Comment

Working...
                  X